No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Butterfly weight, impressed glass  (Read 4829 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: Butterfly weight, impressed glass
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:16 AM »
That is really impressive Wolf!!
I found the reference here: http://www.wildlifegift.com/crystal_butterflies.html
But it is a bit ambigious as it say retired are availible if you order more than 20 ??? I presume this would mean they from Maleras?  Has your butterfly got a ribbed edge?
Connie - It is intresting that they are hand carved, apparently it is a special glass that was developed for them.  I have also now found that the shading is sandblasted.  So not pressed or acid etch as I first thought!
Lynne I dont know how come they are cheap if there is so much hand work involved but they sure are impressive!!!
Thanks for all the info!
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »
Hi Karel, here are the ones available on ebay UK at the moment.... don't you think the Masquerade is wonderful!

Mats
 Jonasson

The masks seem to make quite a bit more than the more usual animal intaglio weights.  Here's one if you really really feel like splashing out  :o

Argus L/E

I can't see any other silvery ones like yours though.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »
But it is a bit ambigious as it say retired are availible if you order more than 20 ??? I presume this would mean they from Maleras?
MJ does a large range of animals and plants - so his Maleras butterfly could be different from the earlier Kosta version: I just don't know if he would be allowed to produce the same design, done for a company, later in his own business.
Whatever - it is not on their stock list any longer, but if a larger quantity is ordered, they'd do it for you.

Has your butterfly got a ribbed edge?
Yes -  vertical - though minute.
BTW - dimensions of my butterfly are 91 mm dia and 23 mm high, and I guess the 72 in "99/72" implies the year it was made.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand