No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sarpaneva Festivo candlesticks - signed or not?  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Sarpaneva Festivo candlesticks - signed or not?
« on: March 21, 2005, 01:14:24 AM »
Could anyone clarify for me if the above are normally signed or not please? I've seen sale listings both on eBay and elsewhere for both signed and unsigned ones, and read elsewhere on this board that there are copies in circulation also. How is it possible to tell if one is a genuine Sarpaneva?

(The reason I ask is that my mother bought me a small candlestick today which looks like the small Sarpaneva but is unsigned, so we are interested to know if it is genuine or one of the copies.)

Any info most gratefully received. :)

http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-149
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 06:46:22 AM »
Some are signed, others are not. If they are, the sig is T.S. in relatively large diamond point. There are tons of imitations around, especially the smaller ones - but the model is quite specific. Also the quality of the crystal should be an indication - the imitations are yellowish.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 10:21:01 AM »
Thanks Ivo, that's very useful to know. Our is very clear crystal, not a hint of yellow at all, it looks and feels good quality,so although unsigned it appears to be an original. It's in the window along with my other crystal pieces where any yellowness would surely show up also.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 12:05:06 PM »
Hi Anne

I've had all sizes of the TS Festivo candlesticks, and I've still got a dubious copy - drat it!  The copy is pretty hopeless really, and as Ivo said, quite yellow.  It's also quite different and obvious to spot really, but I bid on a bad photo and didn't realise...now I'm stuck with it!   :oops:  :roll:

And...some of mine were signed, and some not...even ones that had their original box.

(I know I'm repeating Ivo, but it's not often I actually know anything!  :lol: )
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 01:38:22 PM »
Thanks Max - I'd far rather be told twice than not at all :)  I'm delighted with mine, I did see it in town last week then was sidetracked by other things (shopping for mother's birthday) so totally forgot to pick up the candlestick (I went in to buy yet another wine rack as all ours are full!) - so was lucky that it was still there when mum was going back... a quick phone call and she went and collected it for me. I'd have been kicking myself if I'd missed it totally! ;)

vidfletch

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 11:05:05 PM »
They quite often have the Iittala logo transfer on them or at least the remnants of them! I had a set last year from 1 ring to 7 rings. Four out of the seven had the label or partial label. None were signed.

Vidfletch :twisted:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 11:12:21 PM »
They quite often have the Iittala logo transfer on them or at least the remnants of them! I had a set last year from 1 ring to 7 rings. Four out of the seven had the label or partial label. None were signed.

I think I remember you selling them.  Sold them in a block of three listings together ebay?  I sold a set (separately) at Christmas...most were boxed, including the big one...and I did REALLY badly.   :cry:  :cry:

I bought the whole set (plus some extras), which took some time, thinking they'd make a fantastic group together with candles...and then I didn't like the effect.  Ah well, it's a womans prerogative to change her mind!  Just a shame it was such an expensive mistake!
I am not a man

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 11:19:12 PM »
The seconds never carry the i sticker, but the quality is still very good - I can't tell the difference really.  If I remember correctly I have bought at least one in Iittala shop without a label.   Since the Festivos have been produced since 1966 (at least on and off), they tend to lose those stickers if often used and washed.

I have made a habit of writing to eBay sellers if they offer imitates as originals.  Often they do change their description, but often not.  Anyway, the price never gets that high for those imitations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand