No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stromberg  (Read 11664 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Stromberg
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 08:21:28 PM »
definitely Strömbergshyttan and dating to the mid sixties.

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 03:07:53 AM »
Nobody seems to have pointed out that the engraved Glassworks name that you interpreted as "Strömberg sh7 atan" is the roughly engraved "Strömbergshyttan".  Link provided by Inca was to the recent 1987 startup of "Studioglas Strömbergshyttan", which occupies a site at Hovmantorp adjacent to where the Strömbergshyttan factory was located between 1933-1979.  Your factory numbers are difficult to interpret.   Vases had a "B" followed by 3 numerals, and followed by an engraving code of a letter and 3 numerals.   
I have two similar shape vases from the 1950s.  An engraving of a Viking ship, appears to be B868 and T or C 859.   An engraving of a yacht, appears to be B882 and T or C 223.  These numbers were used before 1959.
I also have a mega-version of this shape, 18 cm high and weighing over 3.0 kg, (no engraved design) with the code B898.  The Strömbergs produced a very high quality crystal with a faint blue tinge, and excelled in polishing and facet-cutting excellent bowls and vases.  Excellent additions to any Swedish collection.
When you own a new hammer, everything looks like a nail??
John (in Scandi corner 44 South, New Zealand.)

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »
Hi

I recently found a small archive of documents and glass relating to Captain H J Dunne Cooke who owned Elfverson the sole UK importer for Strombergshyttan. The archive contained an Elfverson catalogue from 1934 which contains line drawings (by Gerda Stromberg we think) of the Stromberg Range imported into the UK. The catalogue constitutes the earliest known record of Stromberg production. The archive included a large collection of glass, original design drawings and some books.

Two of the pieces of glass in the collection are also in the V&A collection and one is dedicated to Dunne Cooke by Gerda Stromberg.

The story of the Stombergs (Gerda and Edvard) and their relationship with Dunne Cooke and the archive will appear in the Journal of the Glass Association; published this week. The catalogue is reproduced in its entirety.

I hope you enjoy the article. Stromberg glass is extremely under-rated.

Graham Cooley

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
Nobody seems to have pointed out that the engraved Glassworks name that you interpreted as "Strömberg sh7 atan" is the roughly engraved "Strömbergshyttan". 

Mrs Pedantic here but actually Terry, Ingela, Della and Ivo had all mentioned Strombergshyttan in the posts prior to yours (I'm guessing you didn't read to the end of the thread?)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 02:40:53 PM »
also, for full Strömbergshyttan documentation see the Swedish production glass catalogues

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Glass-Factories-Glas-Manufakturen-Produktions-Katalogue/dp/3791308041

it is out of print but not unfindable.

Offline yelooc

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »
Ivo,

If I remember correctly there is one post-war catalogue in Recke, 1954 I think? The pre-war objects are undocumented; unless I've missed something.

Graham

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 11:59:54 PM »
To John (Jol), I have been re-examining your photo of the engraved signature (enlarged while twiddling with colours, gamma and contrast).   The design number prefix of a B (for Blomvas) tends to be engraved like a 13.
I do not think that they used an oblique stroke to separate the design number from the second engraver number.
Possibly the design number could be interpreted as B1719, which would probably place it into later production around 1970.  Engraving done very quickly onto a small area can be almost impossible to decode.
My prized very large Strömbergshyttan vase was advertised with a strange maker's name because the seller read the engraved name upside down, but I recognised the shape and got a bargain!
To Pip, the unrepentant Pedant.  I do read the complete thread before responding.  I was attempting to assist John (Jol) to correctly read the complete engraved name on his vase, which was the original purpose of his thread.
Some of these were engraved "Strömberg" but this one has the more common "Strömbergshyttan" engraving, but the final letters tend to dissolve into gibberish!   My expertise is limited to my own collection, with some help from Leslie Pina, and those that contribute to this and other web sites.

When you own a new hammer, everything looks like a nail??
John (in Scandi corner 44 South, New Zealand.)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
To Pip, the unrepentant Pedant.  I do read the complete thread before responding.  I was attempting to assist John (Jol) to correctly read the complete engraved name on his vase, which was the original purpose of his thread.
Some of these were engraved "Strömberg" but this one has the more common "Strömbergshyttan" engraving, but the final letters tend to dissolve into gibberish!   My expertise is limited to my own collection, with some help from Leslie Pina, and those that contribute to this and other web sites.

I'll let you off then  :P ;D 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand