No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The One That Got Away  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
The One That Got Away
« on: April 12, 2005, 07:09:33 AM »
Browsing through the Cancer Research shop about 10 days ago, I came across a paperweight.   Of course, I picked it up and had a good look - it was quite unusual!  As I examined it, I realised it was, in fact, rather nasty, and had bits of 'fruit' attached to wire (WIRE??!!!  How vile!) actually in the glass.  All this 'fruit' was sitting on a rather nice latticinio white basket within the glass - what a waste of a nice bit of lattice I thought!

I hastily put down the vile paperweight with the strange wired fruit, and thought I wouldn't waste £1.50 on it.

Imagine my chagrin when in my new paperweight book I find it was a St Louis lampwork paperweight dating from c1850.   :cry:  :cry:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
The One That Got Away
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 08:16:08 AM »
MAX!!!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :x  :x  :x

I really wish you hadn't told us that!   :(  :roll:

Why do I never see those paperweights in my local charity shops?  I'm gonna have to move nearer to Max!   :roll:  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
The One That Got Away
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:24:29 AM »
Why do I never see those paperweights in my local charity shops? I'm gonna have to move nearer to Max!  

I shot back to the shop this morning - of course, it was gone.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!   :cry:  :cry:

Was it...er...terribly valuable?  I'm not sure if I should ask that...do I want to know really??   :cry:

I'm not sure why I'm laughing..maybe it's hysteria...  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
The One That Got Away
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 08:33:25 AM »
Max — you are not alone.   I've done it at least three times this year so far, walking past a Victorian four-ball ink, a delicious pair of turn-of-the-century tall Venetian sticks, and, by far the worst, a lovely Walsh triple epergne in Primrose, with fabulous flowing Nouveau metalwork!

I still can't believe that last one.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
The One That Got Away
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »
Oh Max!! We all have tales of ones that got away and if I kicked myself for everyone I probably couldn't sit down for a week. The opposite side of this coin would be one you received as a gift but in all honesty do not care for, does not "fit" into the collection and yet you feel you really should keep it and display it. The following piece, and I will not comment on it but let you decide whether you like it or not. Impressed in the bottom it reads, Magic of Glass 1986 Jim Davis.

http://tinypic.com/4g13l5

Terry

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
The One That Got Away
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 09:57:45 AM »
Well, I feel a bit better if Bernard's missed things before.  8)  :D

With regard to Terrys paperweight (I resisted the temptation to Google Jim Davis!), I have to say I like his better than the St Louis lampwork one (those fruits looked PLASTIC man!), but I'm not terribly keen on either really.   :?

I think I must be a paperweight philistine.  :(   There's no hope for me!!!  :oops:
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
The One That Got Away
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 10:19:34 AM »
Being a St Louis c1850 weight does not make it any better. Crap is crap, that someone might want to pay a lot of money for crap because it is old is much more of a Philistine attitude. Look at Monart glass, Leerdam glass or Dresser's Clutha for common examples of crap that sells for big money - just because a small number of the pieces by the same makers are without doubt amongst the most amazing glass ever produced. Changing the history of design as with both Dresser and Leerdam does not neccesarily mean that everything with their label/signature is automatically good.

Offline Leni

• Members
The One That Got Away
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 10:38:01 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Being a St Louis c1850 weight does not make it any better. Crap is crap, that someone might want to pay a lot of money for crap because it is old is much more of a Philistine attitude.

Agreed, 100% Frank!  :lol:

I would much rather spend my money on a beautiful Willie Manson, John Deacons or Allan Scott weight (to name just a few 'local heroes'  :wink: ) than a horrible antique St Louis, 'just because'  :shock:

Stop fretting about it, Max  :D  IMHO the only thing to regret is that you didn't buy it cheap and sell it dear and use the profit to buy something more beautiful!   :roll:  

Leni
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
The One That Got Away
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 10:02:11 PM »
them little china men made copys of all the french makers, it could of been one of them, thus why it looked nasty
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
The One That Got Away
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 11:11:44 AM »
Hi folks,

Antique St Louis fruit weights do not have wire inside. And neither do modern St Louis examples. In the US, New England and Boston & Sandwich also made fruit weights over lace but they did not have wire either.

As far as I know, Murano examples also don't use wire. But perhaps some of the modern Chinese ones do?

Assuming it was wire in the weight, then I think that passing it by was not a problem. Although for a very low cost, it could have been an interesting example of its type.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand