No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Resource  (Read 15456 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Resource
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »
I'd not really considered it, to be honest. Although, for a start, I wouldn't know where to begin with making it members-only!  ;D

But the costs of the site are neglible - hosting is only a few pounds a year, and although I do spend a lot on buying in the glass to illustrate the site (and nearly as much on materials to research the content) I rarely buy any glass that I can't sell at a profit through my shop or on eBay (and the research materials also aid those sales).

Plus... I enjoy doing the site. It's my replacement for pubs, clubs and a night-time social life now that I'm a regular sickly-soul - and it's a LOT cheaper!

Finally, I've always kind of viewed it as a long-term marketing campaign - if I can broaden the awareness of Holmegaard/Kastrup glass outside of Scandinavia, then it can eventually also raise the value - which, again, bodes well for my shop. Okay, so that one's a bit of a long-shot..... but you never know!  ;D

So as long as I've got enough pennies going spare to feed my glass habit and cover my frugal living costs, I'm more than content to keep the site free for all.  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
Hi Nic Apart from the fact Frank has given you left and right the wrong way round  ;D , there seems to be a font issue. This little bit of code works OK ’Carnaby‘ in notepad but not as part of the whole line of code for 'Carnaby'. If you change the font to times in the code, the whole line works with curly quotes. Does that make sense?
<td width="106" height="28" colspan="3" align="center" valign="bottom" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"><font face="times" size="2" color="#017bc1">&lsquo;Carnaby&rsquo;</'</font></td>

Off to the cafe

BTW I worked out the codes were the wrong way round but the OH worked out where the problem lay. I should just ignore me next time I suggest something. Verdana works OK too

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 12:27:01 AM »
The source is not showing the codes for the quotes, just the quotes themselves, thus:
Code: [Select]
<font color="#017bc1" face="Arial" size="2">'Carnaby'</font>
I generally just use the basic &quot; code for " which works nicely most of the time, so I'd do it thus:
<font color="#017bc1" face="Arial" size="2">&quot;Carnaby&quot;</font>
To use smart quotes, I'd use the code &#147; to open them and &#148; to close them, thus:
<font color="#017bc1" face="Arial" size="2">&#147;Carnaby&#148;</font>
 8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 07:22:05 AM »
Christine - I gave Times a whirl, and it looked a little out of place against all the unfussy text already on the page.

Anne - I tried your smart quotes, but they still just turned out straight.

I could just lose the apostrophes altogether...  ;D

I tried out all three options, second row of vases... HERE
Incidentally, the first 5 vases are now clickable.  ;D Well, so are the second 5, but they won't actually take you anywhere just yet.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 08:43:01 AM »
I wasn't saying you should use times, just pointing out that it seemed to be an arial thing. Times is horrid for websites, perhaps just best lose the quotes, they aren't necessary. Verdana is quite a nice standard web font and that would work for the quotes

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2007, 09:25:52 AM »
I was going to use the apostrophes to delineate between range names and function - i.e. when I illustrate some glass that has no range name (or I haven't yet discovered it), I would just list the function, sans apostrophes: vase, ashtray, etc...

I could possbily play around with using bold or italics for range names instead.

Although, at the end of the day, we are discussing the aesthetic values (or lack of) of two tiny lines that most people won't even notice...  Such is the way of design! ;D ;D ;D

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 09:26:22 AM »
Nic, it’s looking good  :)

Try using:

&#8216;

and
&#8217;

they usually work for me.

robbo
robbo

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
Just to really get you tearing your hair out, I am not convinced that the curly quotes DO look better than the straight ones with a non serif face.

And anyway, as Christine said, what use are the quotes in this context anyway??

I'd just lose them...give you a cleaner result IMHO
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »
I just thought they'd help highlight range names, where applicable. It's not so much of an issue with 'Carnaby', as that's clearly a range name - but I thought that it might get a little confusing with range names like 'Green'.

But I probably will drop them and rely on bold or italics for that purpose. I'll have a tinker later.  :)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
Ah yes, see what you mean.  In that case it probably IS better to keep them for all.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand