No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early coloured glass  (Read 2099 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Early coloured glass
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
 Hi ,
           For those interested in early coloured glass this green example appears to be completely unrecorded in the literature and all I have spoken to have never seen another example,

Circa 1740 ish 5 1/8th ins tall, a Balustroid short cordial or maybe Gin with a folded foot ,jury is still out on whether it is lead or not weight and resonance would say yes but there are quite a lot of fine bubbles,maybe it is made with bottle glass metal by someone who moved from making glasses to bottles , who knows , any ideas out there are most welcome.

cheers ,
            Peter.

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Early coloured glass
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »
No ideas, but I like the glass.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »
hello Peter  -  was this a recent ebay item by any chance ..........thought I recalled seeing a wine of this colour in recent times  -  and does the fact that you have listed under British mean you are convinced it is?          Is it possible that the reason you've not seen the colour before - coupled with the doubts about it being lead  -  may well mean it's Continental?           Wouldn't resonance alone mean it was lead  -  this is not something that will ring because of its shape alone.
As you say, it does look more akin to the 'Nailsea type' of bottle coloured glass, which dates from around early C19, or perhaps the doorstops from the Midlands factories from the second half of the C19.          As we all know, being of a certain style doesn't always guarantee period.
I would defer to your judgment any day, but perhaps it's impossible to create an C18 category based on a single example. :) 

Green is arguably the most variable of all drinking glass colours - from very watery to the deepest Bristol - but not bottle ish, usually.     Not aware of anything similar - in Derek C. Davis and Keith Middlemas they do include a wine (or is it a mead) which although not quite your shade, is a lightish bottle colour.   However, pictures on screens and in books can be interpreted differently.  :)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
Hi ,
           Yes well spotted ,the same 1 .

Yes i am happy that it is an English glass,continental green glasses are well documented but never in this form which is well documented in English clear lead glasses ,see attached for a typical  non lead continental glass of the same period ,in some books you will find these referred to as 'glasses made for export' though are now thought to be more likely of Low Countries origin.

Finding glasses that don't seem to be as yet recorded or recorded only in ones and twos is not as uncommon as you might think , also attached is a green tinted English lead glass Baluster(note the tiny bubbles in the bowl),so far only 2 examples known the other in an old catalogue picture. why some glasses are known by single or very small numbers I don't know and neither does anyone else I know lol so food for thought there maybe.

Churchill's , one of the premier glass dealers in the 1940s/50s published a series of little pamphlets , "Glass Notes" and it was in these notes that Barrington Haynes who worked at Churchill's started his classification of glass forms as published in his book "Glass Through The Ages". Churchill's would regularly ask their readers if anyone had seen a glass of a particular form as one had not been found yet , many times they received replies and new forms were added to the list .

so for you Paul S in the spirit of Churchill's can you find mention of and or a picture of  'a plain stem cordial with round funnel bowl over a teared  stem on a conical folded foot' ?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
quote..........." Yes well spotted ,the same 1 ."..........      now why didn't I buy it :'(

We just ask the slightly daft questions Peter  -  we rely on you to give the definitive answers ;D

I think the answer to your question Peter  -  at least in this apparently unique colour  -  is almost certainly not  -  but you'll be the first to hear me shout if I do ;)  -  nonetheless wish you luck in your searching.            I get the impression that there are more collections of C18 drinking glasses  -  scattered throughout the country  -  than perhaps we realize, and who knows what might yet lay hidden awaiting discovery.
However, as none of the other big researchers has yet found one, I guess you have a rarity on your hands, so congratulations :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand