Author Topic: Is French Glass Always Marked?  (Read 812 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
    • Vetrissimo
Is French Glass Always Marked?
« on: October 22, 2005, 02:23:56 PM »
Split from Topic Octagonal Pressed Glass Plate

So all the cheap stuff is marked with an embossed "France" stamp
I didn't say that !
I studiously avoid the words "all" and "always"
Just one item in the whole word would negate them !!

But I bet if you go to your corner hardware store and pick up a six pack of Duralex tumblers it will be marked "France" at least. 

The French have been keener at marking their wares of all qualities from the very cheapest to the very best, at least by nationality, than others.

I have a vase which I have owned for nearly 20 years. I only discovered the FRANCE mark a few months ago. I picked it up just now and it took me 10 minutes to find it again eventhough I knew it was there.

I note that Sabino did at times use a paper label. Whether this was in addition to one of their several marks or not I don't know.

Does anyone know of any French makers (other than small studios eg Berlouse ) who did NOT rountinely mark ?
Pete

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 02:28:42 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
Does anyone know of any French makers (other than small studios eg Berlouse ) who did NOT rountinely mark ?

Yep, Baccarat for one. Mrs Graydon-Stannus Normandy glassworks (still unknown) for another.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
    • Vetrissimo
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 02:40:03 PM »
Thank you Frank
As soon as I saw your name I knew I'd see the word Baccarat and as we know its only true prior to 193O something ...I've forgotten the exact date.
I should have specified Art Glass as opposed to glassware but I'm the one who brought up Duralex and I'm already regretting it.
So while there what about St Loius ?

As to Mrs Graydon-Stannus Normandy glassworks it would be nice to know that it actually existed first. Even then I think we might include that is small studios. If it's so difficult to find out about I doubt it was much more than that ??
Pete

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 03:20:20 PM »
The story is that the factory produced fakes and kept a low profile, of course they got pushed into the collectibles market.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand