No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Walsh Glasses  (Read 3386 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
John Walsh Glasses
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:55:51 PM »
Hi,

I have bought some glasses which were made by Walsh Walsh and are signed on the base "Walsh England", but I can't find out what the pattern is called and how old they might be.

I have 3 champagne, 4 wine and 6 sherries,

http://tinypic.com/4h45zc  Mod: Link dead

here is a picture of the 3 large glasses, the cut looks like Fostoria cube pattern (if thats any help!)

Many thanks
Barbara

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 04:41:01 PM »
Beautiful glasses, Barbara.

If I have some time spare I will trawl through the factory pattern books in Eric's book to see if I can find them.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline BJB

• Members
John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 06:14:39 PM »
Hi Bernard,

I hoped that you might know, as when I saw you at Loughborough last year you had some lovely Walsh glass. It was only because of this I recognised the name and mark as I read up a little on them in "20th Century  Factory Glass" beacause I really liked what you had.

Why, I wonder, isn't Walsh as popular as other makers in the 20th century who closed later than them. I searched ebay and couldn't find anything listed. I know the Victorian items do fetch money, but some of the Art Deco glass is really lovely, yet it seems to be over looked.

Just a thought,
 :?:
Barbara

Anonymous

John Walsh Walsh Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 07:10:47 PM »
I hope that you dont mind me mentioning that there is a famous & collectible range made by the above & designed by Clyne Farquharson.

They should be signed & numbered to be of value, as the designs were continued after the original series.

G Man :)

Offline BJB

• Members
John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 07:37:54 PM »
These are just signed "Walsh England" so not by a famous designer then, however I do like them.

I still think that glassware like this is very under rated and good value for money, a bit like Stuart from the same era. I know that the Kny pieces which are signed do make money, but the rest is very cheap, (under a fiver for most vases and bowls, which for Art Deco is a good value for money).

I know there is a book on Walsh glass but can't remember what it is called, the book wish list is growing longer and longer!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 08:24:58 AM »
Barbara — Eric's book is The Glass of John Walsh Walsh 1850–1951.

I can't find your lovely glasses in the factory pattern books, which date from the early to mid 1920s, probably because this simple elegant pattern dates from an earlier period.   I've had two or three examples of this pattern through my hands, one of which was a huge vase.   Eric illustrates an identical blank with the merese or bladed knop in the stem at fig. 59 (ii), and the cut pattern in various places, such as fig. 101 (iii).   They also cut this pattern on blanks with a plain stem.   The company mark dates your glasses to c.1930–51.

You will have noticed that your glasses are wonderful to use.   They are heavy, as most Walsh cut patterns are quite deeply cut, requiring a good thickness of glass on the blank.   Some months ago I acquired a Rock Crystal wine goblet, which is almost certainly a late example of about 1910 by William Fritsche and his small team at Webb.   Ian Wolfenden in his 1976 book / exhibition catalogue on Rock Crystal dates the style to 1878–1925, but does not consider Walsh at all.  Had he seen Eric's Queen Anne salad set dating from 1884 (fig. 11), I think he would have found it difficult to leave Walsh out of the exhibition.   Anyway, it is reasonable to regard glasses like yours as deriving from and influenced by the Rock Crystal tradition.

It would be wrong and illogical to think that Clyne Farquharson only designed pieces carrying his signature.   From 1933 there was a noticeable change to simple modern cut patterns, most or all of which can be attributed to him, as he was by then Walsh's chief designer.   Looked at the other way around, what was he doing all day long if he wasn't designing new patterns?

Walsh glass of all types is becoming increasingly popular since Eric's book was published, and there are some wise collectors building up wonderful collections while it is still relatively inexpensive.   I like to think that I have helped in a small way.

G Man — You will find a slightly different view of Farquharson's signed designs in Reynolds and other published works.

Bernard C.  8)

Anonymous

John Walsh Walsh
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 09:53:55 PM »
Hi Bernard,
I will look out for the book on the above, but until I own it , my reference on the above comes from the catalogue British Glass between the wars 1987. the best book on this period I have, except the 2 Whitefriars books.

Is this book still in print?

Regards
G Man. :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 10:25:52 PM »
G Man — yes, the paperback is still in print.   The hardback was a limited edition (not numbered) and sold out quite quickly.

Like you I rate BGbtW highly as I own three (I wear out books!).   However it is eighteen years out of date, so must always be evaluated in the light of more recent research and discoveries.   My current working copy is fairly liberally sprinkled with pencilled marginal notes, as to a lesser extent is my working copy of Reynolds, another book in the three category.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 05:44:07 PM »
Barbara do you still have a pic of the pattern please? The tinypic one has expired.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: John Walsh Glasses
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 06:07:02 PM »
Hi folks, Eric has also made a DVD on Walsh glass,if i can find his phone number i will give him a call to see if he can put something on here,I believe part of the proceeds goes to a cancer charity,if i cant find what i have done with his number maybe one of you have it.JP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand