No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Target balls, grenades and lightbulbs - Glass made to break  (Read 4671 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Target balls, grenades and lightbulbs - Glass made to break
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 10:23:51 PM »
:idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:
amazing    im lucky if our new fangled light bulbs last a month,  :roll:
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Target balls, grenades and lightbulbs - Glass made to break
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 11:07:56 AM »
Yes, they do not last very long now because people want to pay less. As a result all of the European light bulb manufacturers have closed down. Production is mostly in China now, due to lowere quality this had lead to a drop in overall efficiency. This of course is paralleled in the production of glassware and more recently art glass.

I am unaware of any research into the subject but would not be surprised if the 'real cost' in terms of energy use and replacement cost of the additional bulbs has increased as a result. That the perceived cost is lower is of course mere marketting and a consequence of the fact that 51 of the top 100 economies in the world are corporations and not countries.

There is no value in moaning about it as long as one supports it, but of course with the way that commerce moves today there are no options available for protest shopping.

If we take the example of target balls, is there a company anywhere that could produce a comparable item today within its local market community? The short answer is no and the only real alternative is to buy from the artists studios - yet I hear time and again that people would love to but cannot afford too. I would say that this is true because not enough people are willing to spend a little more. Thus the studio prices have to increase to meet the operational costs of the studio. In such a climate it is hardly surprising that companies like Caithness, which catered to a middle ground of quality collectibles and relied to a significant degree on department store sales, fail.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Target balls, grenades and lightbulbs - Glass made to break
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »
Frank — I have unearthed a serious mouldmaker's error from the 1930s which I am certain was never discovered.   I only noticed when looking for something else.   I will enlighten everyone when I have some reasonable photographs to back up my anecdote.

Bernard, any progress?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand