No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki Trio...  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Riihimaki Trio...
« on: April 15, 2007, 02:03:22 PM »
Just sorting through my accidental Riihimaen collection to sell on (hopefully) and make some pennies towards the Holmegaard site's existence. All the vases all been named - or at least securely attributed - except for these three.

Have pottered around the various websites, but can't find anything the same with any kind of firm attribution, so do they ring any bells here? They're probably all Tamara Aladin - they have that kind of feel.

Thanks in advance!  :)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Riihimaki Trio...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »
Nic, aren't these all part of Tamara Aladin's 'Tuulikki' range?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
That was my initial thought when I bought them a while back - but Riihimaen isn't really my 'thing' so didn't want to make too much of a numpty of myself. Well, no more than usual, at least.  ;D.

In McConnell it says there are only four 'Tuulikki' shapes, and illustrates two of them - neither of which match mine. I don't know how correct this information is, though.

Offline Brum

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
Sorry to butt in off subject and ask stupid questions, but is McConnell a book? If so what is the title, I'm a newbie and I like Riihimaki (amongst others), I'd like to get a decent book. Cheers

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:48:33 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Brum

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:02:44 AM »
Ta, d'oh it was right in front of me

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »
Nic,
Dunno if it helps, but I have no 2 in clear-cased pale amber and no 3 in clear-cased olive green.  They really do have the feel of Aladin pieces.
Cheers,
Chris

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »
I have no.1 in red and no.2 in olive green and I was told mine were Tamara Aladin, too.
Leni

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:15:39 AM »
Oops, forgot to drop by and say thanks, Chris & Leni, for your input.  :)

Leni, your red no. 1 vase - is it quite thick compared to the other vase? Mine's quite thick-walled, and you can see the clear casing right up to the rim.

I was just wondering if this was a feature of this pattern, or if mine's just a freak of nature...  ;D I do quite like it, as it doesn't fade to orange on the bulging parts, as with the thinner vases. It's a nice consistant rich ruby.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 06:26:30 AM »
Is your red, No.1 vase vastly heavier than the others Nic?  I haven't seen one that's anything other than the usual fairly lightweight, thin walled version.  Several colourways in that style have passed through my hands in the past - I've still got a red one on display here.  I never found any definitive attribution for them, but you could be right with a Tamara Aladin guess.  I've had a couple of Finncrystal vases before, (Smoke & Ice says used by Riihimaen in late 60's and 70's for export & tourist market)...and both those Finncrystal ones have been markedly thicker and heavier than their identical non-Finncrystal counterparts.  I've never seen one like yours with a Finncrystal sticker, but then stickers usually go missing.   :-\

Well, just a thought.  Otherwise your thicker vase could just be a quirk as you say.
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand