No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another lucky find today - Perthshire 1974  (Read 4208 times)

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Re: Another lucky find today - Perthshire 1974
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49:22 PM »
Hi,
   I don't remember the weight personally as it was the year before I joined Perthshire but I can maybe give a bit of info on the base.Going by the picture the colour looks like it was a blown cusion base as we called them,which was made the same way as blowing a goblet.First clear glass is gathered on the blowing iron then a white layer, finally in this case what looks like a piece of gold coloured glass (probably Kugler's Goldtopaz) would be "Dropped on" hot by a helper.This would then be worked and blown into a cup shape which when opened out would be filled with clear glass to form a solid base with which to pick up the millefiori design.A total view of the base from the back would better to judge from though :).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 08:56:56 PM »
Thank you so much for that, Allan  :D Looking at the base that sounds exactly right to me!  From seeing paperweights made, I can imagine just what you describe.  I hope my picture of the base is good enough to illustrate what you said: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Perthshire_1974_base.jpg
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »
Thanks Leni,Yes that confirms that is a "Cushion" blown base. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand