No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting ewer for sale  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Alastair Petrie

• Members
Interesting ewer for sale
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »
McTears Auctions in Glasgow now have on line bidding. I bought an item two weeks ago on their first auction.
Their next one is comming up in a week and there is an interesting item.
See it at:
http://www.catalogue-host.co.uk/mctears/2007-04-24/search_results?text=ysart&category=&max=&new_search=1

Alastair
Alastair

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Interesting ewer for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:59:37 AM »
We had one of those on sale at the Perth conference in 2005. Fetched a good price but not that high! Still it will be interesting to see what it does in public.

Offline Alastair Petrie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »
Hi,
I dont know if you were watching this one with a cracked handle las autumn?

L H Selman Ltd,
123 Locust Street
Santa Cruz
Calafornia
Fall Auction 2006

Click on the image to enlarge 

Lot 127
Paul Ysart Harland-era scrambled millefiori glass ewer. The tall, slender, pink body of the piece has scattered sections of colorful millefiori, twists, and rods surrounding the sides. Clear glass handle, and clear footed base. The canes in this piece match canes in weights made by Ysart in 1975 - 1980. Minor scratch and chip on the bottle. Cracked handle. (See “Seriously Beautiful” article in “Paperweight Collector’s Circle Newsletter” No. 89, December 2005) Height 13", diameter of base 3 3/4".
$2000-$3000
Current Bid:
$1800   Sold

Finally sold for $2070
Go to: http://www.selman.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00499.5.3744523630119920949#pgup

Look for lot 127

Alastair
Alastair

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:58:53 PM »
Now I am worried again. An attribution to Paul Ysart creates a nonsense, there was NO contact between Paul Ysart and any of the others after they split up. If any of the others working at Moncrieff met up with Salvador and Paul's brothers they soon learnt to not mention it to Paul.

One thing is certain these ewers were made either at Vasart or at Paul Ysart's Studio AND not both, the Monart ewer I had was of a much better quality than these and distinctly a different design.

I would consider the Selman example to be wrongly attributed, if it is only filigree canes, cane matching is less useful. But who wrote  “Seriously Beautiful” article in “Paperweight Collector’s Circle Newsletter” No. 89, December 2005 and was it referring to the same piece?

Kevin... we need you here!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
The article in the PCC Newsletter (issue 89, Dec 2005) was written by Bob Hall and showed pictures of the "pink" ewer and a yellow one. In the previous newsletter (issue 88, Aug 2005) another one, with a "milky white" ground had been discussed. The "milky white" one was the one that I would have bought had I known about it early enough!

Strangely (brain cells giving up??), I only half recall the one at the Perth Conference. At least, I remember taking some photos, but as yet I can't find the pics. And I can't find my pics of the "milky white" one, either!!

In Bob's article he said, in one part, "Attribution could well remain a mystery for a long time". Later in the article he commented that cane matches could be made to Harland period weights. It was also pointed out that it had been suggested [which I had certainly done, when I discussed these ewers with Bob] that some of the canes in Harland weights could have been from the early years - or very similar canes pulled during all of the years from the 30s to 70s. Bob's view was that with many matches in the ewer canes to those seen in Harland weights, then it was more likely that the ewer was from that same period.

In the Issue 88 article, the owner of the "milky white" ewer commented on my fluoresence test and cane matching [although only one cane could be definitely matched at that time] and we both concluded it was "Vasart or earlier" - but the article image was titled "Monart Water Ewer". A particular feature was that the clear glass foot and handle showed the well-known purple tint of many early Ysart (Paul & Salvador) weights.

My view is still as it was, with a preferred attribution of: "Vasart 1946-c1955 or perhaps 1930s Monart period". But who really knows?
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 07:16:42 AM »
Strangely (brain cells giving up??), I only half recall the one at the Perth Conference. At least, I remember taking some photos, but as yet I can't find the pics. And I can't find my pics of the "milky white" one, either!!

Can anyone here recall who bought the ewer at the conference auction?

I don't think a 30's date is very likely as these would have been appearing earlier than the 1990's - I remain troubled by them.

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »
I don't think my memory is that bad but I can't recall a ewer being sold ??? ???. Perhaps Gary or Alice may have a recollection of this but I certainly don't

Keith
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »
Hmmm, I think you may be right, Keith.

The more I think about this, maybe what I photographed was a vase decorated with coloured twists that somebody had brought along for information? Or maybe it was a ewer - but again just shown, not sold??

Wish I could find those photos!
KevinH

Offline luckyslap

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »
I think what you photographed Kevin were the two MA bowls (I think they were both MA)which contained a variety of canes . One was in green (Mary James's) and the other in white I think (Robert Drummond's).

Keith
Luckyslap.
You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Offline MHJ02

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 08:16:16 PM »
You are right Keith, both Robert and I brought our bowls, but even then there was disagreement about who made them.   From my memory, Ian Turner thought that Robert's was Monart whereas mine could have been either Vasart or Perthshire.   Kevin certainly identified a Salvador cross cane.   As you know, I no longer own the bowl. :-\

I'm trying to remember where I saw an ewer with canes - it wasn't at Perth, although there was a caned vase included in the auction.   My brain, which doesn't always remember that well, says it was either EBay or an auction house.   I'll have a look at my files to see if anything springs to mind.

Regards
Mary

PS:   I don't particularly like the ewer currently up for sale - but that's a personal choice!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand