No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID: Czech Enamel / Flygsfors / Unknown drinking glass  (Read 2727 times)

Offline chris_ny

• Members
ID: Czech Enamel / Flygsfors / Unknown drinking glass
« on: May 17, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
Picked up these items and lots more at an estate sale. I have spent days trying to find info on the Internet but struck out. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.vacandsew.com/images/enamel_glass2.jpg
http://www.vacandsew.com/images/brown_artdecodish.jpg
http://www.vacandsew.com/images/bud_glass1.jpg
Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 07:43:15 PM »
#1 Looks Czech
The color is peach pink + enamel decoration
Date: I would guess around the 50s but could be earlier ...would need to see the pabe more clearly.

#2 If there is a white stripe around the edge then it's Flygsfors of Sweden.

#3 Sorry don't know
Pete

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 09:57:50 PM »
Hi

I agree with Peter 1st item looks Czech ……..

Is it sectional to the interior, does the enamel feel glossy and fired (rather than cold painted, it looks like hot enamel work to me). It seems a well made piece and has a 1930's - 1950s shape about it, a picture of the enamel surround (portion of), and a picture of the item with the lid off would help, also is the moulding to the base swirled in style?

2nd item looks like Flygsfors, but this style (sometimes called Coquille) was used by other countries and companies. Peter what about that base, it looks like very Italian, and they used that petal shape for clowns and Chickens? I have a few bits of freeform Flygsfors by Paul Kedelv (Ref http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib5a.htm#B items 6933 / 7513) and they all have a simple base, which is not to say one does not exist, It’s just I have yet to see one.

3rd item has a tapering hexagonal stem (is that right?) which flattens at the top, a small gather of glass then takes the bowl. The shape of the bowl leads me to believe it is a sweetmeat glass (mmmmm), but it could also be a shallow goblet, what is the diameter of the top rim? The engraved decoration seems loose and fluid and seems very 1950s (earlier examples were usually more luxuriously engraved). I don't know the factory but I think this could also be Czech.

These are just my musings, and in no ways definitive

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 01:42:01 AM »
Here's something vaguely similar to #1, but the seller here doesn't have a clue either.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/tradewindsantiques/item/GL161

I just wonder whether it's American. I don't know enough to say for certain, but my immediate thought was perhaps US elegant.

?? Just another tree to bark up. Hopefully someone from the US (Connie, Mike, Dave?) will be along soon to confirm or deny.

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 02:18:29 AM »
Hello
I have a low comport very similar in decoration to #1 and was told it is most likely by  Dugan/Diamond, or possibly Westmoreland

(I have a perfume/powder jar set known to be by Dugan/Diamond in a similar style too)

Connie

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »
Cheri - I also thought about Dugan/Diamond (I think I am the one who identified your piece).  But I looked yesterday for the covered box.  The shape of the finial doesn't match the Dugan/Diamond molds that I have been able to find so far.

A better picture of the covered box with a full side profile might help in the identification.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand