No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tiara Glass Children's Service Set (Nursery Rhyme)  (Read 4472 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
Tiara Glass Children's Service Set (Nursery Rhyme)
« on: April 16, 2005, 04:46:56 AM »
Is the Children's Service Set made by Tiara Glass an original design, or a reproduction of something older?  I'm talking about the nursery rhyme series, such as shown here.  They seem to be very common now, judging by eBay sales (they don't sell for any price, unless a complete set perhaps with original box).  I saw one of the See Saw Margery Daw plates in an antique store and liked it, but thought I'd look around before doing anything rash, and was surprised to see how many were for sale and that they didn't even fetch $5.  Are there originals?  --ian

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 04:36:36 PM »
Ian:

It is suggested in Pattern Glass Mugs by Adams and Mordock that there may have been an original of the mug produced in the 1880s in clear only.

The plate and bowl are definitely all of recent vintage as are the coloured mugs. As you point out so well  the market is flooded.

Sid

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 04:03:33 AM »
Sid, thanks.  I wonder if Tiara took the mug and ran with the nursery rhyme idea?  i.e. are the others in the set also old patterns?  I know they're new production, but are they new or old designs?  Does anyone have an original (mug) to compare to the repro?  The Tiara's are marked "Tiara" on the bottom are they not?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand