No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline/Uranium glass bowl ID please = Jobling Tudor Rose  (Read 5921 times)

Offline 2025dave

• Members
Vaseline/Uranium glass bowl ID please = Jobling Tudor Rose
« on: April 18, 2007, 07:44:09 PM »
Hi , I am having difficulty in sussing out who registered this design  ???.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/Vaselineglass004.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/Vaselineglass005.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/Vaselineglass002.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/Vaselineglass001.jpg

It has a back to front REGD NO. which I can not make out properly , I think I can read  612082 and have also tried other combinations though cannot get a result  .
Neither can I get anywhere with rose design searching of vaseline or uranium glass , there are rose designs by Bagley and Davidson but I have not yet found the same as this one :-[.

3ΒΌ" high  x  almost 7Β½" wide

I have had 100% success here in the past so here I am again  ;D.

Thanks for any help, Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Vaseline/Uranium glass bowl ID please . Davidson ? Bagley ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:13:23 PM »
More likely to be Jobling in that jade glass. Try looking at the number in a magnifying shaving mirror or taking a rubbing and then looking at it in a mirror

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »
Dave β€” It looks to me like Jobling's 8000 Tudor Rose pattern, reg'd no. 780719 of Feb 17 1933.   According to the 1934 trade catalogue, reproduced in Baker & Crowe, your 7Β½" deep bowl was made in jade and Opalique, but at an ex-factory gate price of 15/- per dozen, compared to a price of 8/9 per dozen for standard colours.

Tudor Rose is by far the most difficult to find of the four Jobling bowl patterns;  I've only had two or three through my hands, all in standard colours.   So your jade bowl is rather special.    I am envious of your good fortune in acquiring this lovely item.

Note that a GMB committee member has some reservations about my knowledge of Jobling glass, see here.    So I suggest you seek other opinions;  always a good idea.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »
Thank you both !

780719 it is for sure . I'm sure I tried that number at some stage though probably with the wrong words included . Sometimes I think I just try too hard !

It does have quite a few utensil marks inside it which is a shame though I am not at all suprised to hear that it is a little special  .

I would never have guessed Jobling when comparing it to the much lighter pine cone design bowls I have (not opalique) , but I am very happy , Thank you so much once again , Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »
Dave β€” I'm only too pleased to have helped, but please seek other opinions as I said before.

I have been looking for a really good photograph of Tudor Rose for some time for a reference gallery on British glass I am creating.    Your final photograph, http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/Vaselineglass001.jpg is almost perfect for my requirements, as it shows both the pattern on the bowl and the base.   Jobling's jade is always the best colour for such photographs.

Could I trouble you for a similar photograph, showing the whole bowl and both the pattern on the bowl and base, but with the rose near the base at the centre of the image and the bowl level?    You would receive full acknowledgement of ownership of copyright.

If this is too much to ask, may I utilise your "001" photograph?   I would welcome your ex-camera image file, together with how you would like your copyright notice worded.    Please email me by clicking on the envelope symbol to the left of this text.

Please don't feel obliged in any way.   If you don't want me to utilise your photographs, then that is quite reasonable, and I will not press you further.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 10:13:47 PM »
Hello Dave,

Definitely 8000 'Tudor Rose', see also here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2571

I have noticed that there are a number of detail differences between the large and small sizes of this pattern, most obviously the flowers are much flatter and less well detailed on the large range. The smaller range bowl, like your example, is in my opinion the more attractive of the two. Interestingly Tudor Rose differs from Jobling's other bowls in that the pattern on the base is moulded in intaglio rather than relief.

Its a lovely bowl but be warned, I bought an identical bowl to yours about four years ago and haven't been able to stop buying Jobling glass since.

Steven

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
LOL , It is all cool .

I will take more and better pics for you tomorrow and I would have no probs with anyone using my pics for any future use so please work away on them as you so wish , in fact I would be delighted , you could put thanks to ebay 2025dave which would be mighty fine !

I can not keep hording bits and bobs as my wife would get angry , one day soon I shall list on ebay under my same ID here of 2025dave .

Better pics coming to you as promised tomorrow !

Best regards , Dave.

Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:03:31 AM »
Note that a GMB committee member has some reservations about my knowledge of Jobling glass, see here.    So I suggest you seek other opinions;  always a good idea.

Bernard C.  8)

Bernard is that me you're tossing nasturtiums at?!  >:D  If so, I'll protest that I have no reservations about your Jobling (or any other make of) glass knowledge at all.  :P
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 07:20:21 AM »
Dave β€” Thanks.   I'm expecting nothing;  anything will be a bonus.

Anne β€” I don't toss nasturtiums, I eat them.   Lovely and peppery, like watercress, only prettier, and an excellent way of improving mixed salads.    In this case I was casting rose petals.    BTW, if you are ever catering, try nasturtium flower and Stilton sandwiches on light rye, they're delicious as well as colourful.

Quote from: Mosquito
... Interestingly Tudor Rose differs from Jobling's other bowls in that the pattern on the base is moulded in intaglio rather than relief. ...

Steve β€” I'd not noticed that.   It's not often that such detail escapes me.

If you or anyone else with such an eye for detail has a 2598 Cigarette Box and Ash Tray, either by Jobling or the later version by Davidson from the same mould in purple/white Marble, I would be interested in your observations and conclusions.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 09:37:30 AM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82295137@N00/?saved=1

This is about the height of my photographic ability ,
take your pick and I will forward file(s) via email , best regards and thanks once again , though to be honest I feel it is the least I could do for your help and I am tickled that this will be of use to such an important ref' site .

Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand