No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Danish Glass: Signature help please = Holmegaard  (Read 2152 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Danish Glass: Signature help please = Holmegaard
« on: April 18, 2007, 01:47:40 AM »
Hi again,

I recently got this little glass bowl from a family friend. She's had it for a very long time so its history is forgotten.

Ive tried reading the signature, but the base is very scratched. Im hoping that someone will recognise the style or the signature. Im leaning towards Holmegard? for the larger mark but that is just a guess and I think if you think of something hard enough any illegible signature will look how you want it to. LOL No idea on the initials.

The bowl is quite small measuring 5cm high , approx 10cm across, but is quite heavy and solid. I dont know how to describe the colour..a cross between brown/blue/dark grey? A smoky colour.

Hoping the combined knowledge on the board will give me an answer..

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6524
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6523

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Swedish Glass? Signature help please
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:59:51 AM »
I meant Holmegaard...sorry...I should double check what I write..
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:06:57 AM »
Looks like Holmegaard to me, complete with the Per Lütken monogram and a production number.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »
100% Holmegaard (but only 87% Holmegard!  ;D). The colour's officially called "Smoke" (even in Danish).

It was designed, as Ivo says, by Lutken and produced from 1956 until probably the mid-late 1970s. The signature on your example dates it between 1965-1970. In the 1956 catalogue it appears as production/pattern number 15738, which is the number on the base of yours.

Oh, as indicated above - Holmegaard are a Danish firm, rather than Swedish.

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Danish Glass: Signature help please = Holmegaard
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 12:28:46 AM »
Thanks for that guys! Looks like I stuffed up twice there..lol.

What a wonderful way to show your non knowledge on a board  :) Good to know I have a piece of glass I can actually attribute to someone !

And not knowing how to link back to the oily discussion...this piece was in the cabinet 2 days before it got that wet feel to it. Ive kept it out since, and its fine. Im going to put it back in and see how it goes.

Selina
Trudy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand