Author Topic: Another lucky find today - Perthshire 1974  (Read 1493 times)

Offline ALLAN

• Members
Re: Another lucky find today - Perthshire 1974
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 06:49:22 PM »
Hi,
   I don't remember the weight personally as it was the year before I joined Perthshire but I can maybe give a bit of info on the base.Going by the picture the colour looks like it was a blown cusion base as we called them,which was made the same way as blowing a goblet.First clear glass is gathered on the blowing iron then a white layer, finally in this case what looks like a piece of gold coloured glass (probably Kugler's Goldtopaz) would be "Dropped on" hot by a helper.This would then be worked and blown into a cup shape which when opened out would be filled with clear glass to form a solid base with which to pick up the millefiori design.A total view of the base from the back would better to judge from though :).

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 08:56:56 PM »
Thank you so much for that, Allan  :D Looking at the base that sounds exactly right to me!  From seeing paperweights made, I can imagine just what you describe.  I hope my picture of the base is good enough to illustrate what you said: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Perthshire_1974_base.jpg
Leni

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 07:57:38 PM »
Thanks Leni,Yes that confirms that is a "Cushion" blown base. :)

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand