No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please Need ID.  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Cazza

• Members
Help please Need ID.
« on: April 19, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »
Hi bought this vase today it was with a load of Whitefriars glass vases and some holmegard vases, It is very good quality. Can anyone Id it for me please. its 15 1/2" high
thanks

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/5/4/1/2/4/webimg/44875590_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/5/4/1/2/4/webimg/44875602_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/5/4/1/2/4/webimg/44875570_o.jpg
Cazza

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Help please Need ID.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 02:55:55 AM »
Cazza, there is one which looks the same as yours shown in the Dorling Kindersley Collector's Guides 20th Century Glass, by Judith Miller (ISBN 1-4053-0592-4), page 47, listed as "thought to be Holmegaard, dated 1960s". The height given in the book is the same as yours: 15½" (39.5cm) high.   Nic may be able to add more info if it is a Holmegaard piece.  Nice find!  :D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:55:06 AM »
Hi there Anne
I think its holmgaard 1960's, there were other pieces there as well as some nice W/friars, everyone knew what it was though and it all cost a bomb, this piece I paid £15.00 for hope its worth more. Sorry to be a pest but how do I ask Nic for verification. ;D from a well happy bunny...
Cazza

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
H'm.

I doubt that it is Holmegaard - it looks too coarsely made. It's not dissimilar in basic form to a JE Bang pitcher from the 'Capri' range for Kastrup Glasvaerk - but the colour is all wrong, it lacks a pinched spout and the glass is far too thick. And, again, the quality doesn't look to be there.

My first instinct is Polish or possibly another Scandinavian factory. But probably Polish. I've had a few bits and bobs of Krosno glass in this same colour. Maybe someone else here will know?

Cazza, there is one which looks the same as yours shown in the Dorling Kindersley Collector's Guides 20th Century Glass, by Judith Miller

I don't like DK right now - their online antique & collectables guide is riddled with lots of really basic errors, and they refuse to enter into any correspondence over them. *grr* So even when they do have a chance to amend misattributions, they're not bothered.

Offline Cazza

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »
Hi there Nic
It feels like a qualty piece of glass not rough at all. Perhaps the colour in the photo is not as true as could be, had a lot of trouble with them, this was with lots of other holmegaard and it was filthy yes or ciggy smoke. Where could I start to look to investigate myself please. Also all the other glass was 1960's  many thanks
Cazza

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:30:03 AM »
This is Kastrup's 'Capri-Blå', taken against a bright white uninterupted background, so it's about as light in tone as it's going to get:

As you can see, it's still an awful lot darker than your pitcher, even though the glass is a lot thinner. Light turquoise just wasn't in Holmegaard or Kastrup's repertoire, c.1960, as far as I've found.

Can't really think of anywhere off the top of my head to investigate pitchers, beyond eBay and the other auction sites. If you wanted to look into the colours and forms of a number of Danish glassworks, then I can think of no better site than this:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 11:26:16 AM »
This is the closest colour match I can find:

It's quite a dusky green-turquoise.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »
Nic, could it be Ekenas ? ebay 200080287858  :-\

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
The waisted form is a fairly common design spanning many designers and factories - but the pitcher in question doesn't really tie in with the Ekenas output that I'm familiar with (and, owning only one piece of Ekenas, that's not very familiar at all!).  ;D

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
Hi there Nic
It feels like a qualty piece of glass not rough at all. Perhaps the colour in the photo is not as true as could be, had a lot of trouble with them, this was with lots of other holmegaard and it was filthy yes or ciggy smoke. Where could I start to look to investigate myself please. Also all the other glass was 1960's  many thanks

Hiya Cazza - knowing Nic's almost encyclopaedic knowledge of Holmegaard's production, if he says it's probably not Holmegaard then he's probably right - you might be better off concentrating your efforts researching other factories since Nic really does know what he's on about.  I really can't see much point in asking questions and then not being willing to accept the answer that's given.  I have to agree with Nic - it just looks too thick to be Holmegaard - it's a nice enough flask and a great colour but just not quite right.  I do hope you find out who made it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand