No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper pressed glass tray  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper pressed glass tray
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:10:43 AM »
See 34Kb image, optimised using IrfanView

This is a reasonably accurate miniature of Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper in pressed glass, bordered in Fruiting Vine, and possibly English, as it is the third I have owned.    The mouldmaker was well aware of the painting's significance, as he accurately reproduced Judas's elbow upon the table, and you can just make out the small bag in his hand.

The tray measures 3ΒΌ" x 5Β½" x Β½", and weighs 6oz / 175g.

Someone once told me that a larger version is known carrying a Sowerby peacock's head trademark.   If so, and this is Sowerby, then the blue colour of this tray is a good match to the blue of their Tynesyde glass, launched at the end of the 1920s.

I would welcome any information as to its attribution, date, or formal purpose (if any).

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
Re: Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper pressed glass tray
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:18:12 AM »
Bernard
Take a look here http://indianaglass.carnivalheaven.com/id188.htm  this is a very good site for Indiana Glass,which I am quite sure is what you have.

Tony H in NZ

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »
Tony β€” Grateful thanks.

That web page tells us that the two sizes were reissued by Indiana Glass from 1974.    Does anyone know their earlier history?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:13:19 AM »
Bernard:

The original plate was introduced by the Model Flint Glass Co. of Findlay, Ohio in late 1890 or early 1891.  There was an article in a Findlay newspaper on November 24, 1890 that gave mention of the mould being completed by Mr. Henry Coons of Arduser & Co., a mould factory.  In April 1891, the plate appeared with the caption "The Finest Iron Mould Work ever Executed" in an ad in China, Glass and Lamps. (Ref. pp 121-3 of Findlay Glass by James Measell and Don Smith).

According to Identifying Pattern Glass Reproductions by Jenks, Luna and Reilly (pp 207-8), the first reproductions appeared in 1937 produced by New Martinsville Glass Company.  by 1973, Indiana Glass Co. was producing a large plate from a new mould in many colours.  In 1976, Mosser Glass, Cambridge, Ohio introduced yet another version.

There is a book out on the Indiana Glass Co. that may have more information but I do not have it in my library.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:46:27 AM »
Frank & Sid β€” Grateful thanks for the additional information.   Sid, I was rather taken aback by the wealth of information you found, and your kindness in providing it.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »
Bernard:

You are more than welcome. 

I have a little more to add.  The original manufacturer, Model Flint, apparently made two versions both of which were 11" x 7".  One version has a solid, closed flange, the other has an open grapvine border.  I can't tell you who introduced the smaller version(s).

Sid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand