No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bengt Orup for Johansfors  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Bengt Orup for Johansfors
« on: April 29, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
Hubby went out today and came back with a lovely little vase signed 'Johansfors Orup' -which obviously we realised was the work of Bengt Orup.  I'll post a photograph of it on here tomorrow - but a brief description is it's a little onion shaped vase with beautiful brown, green and creamy grey swirls - were it not signed I would have thought Mdina.  Anyway, what I'd like to know (and I've searched around the net and also on this board to no avail) is I understand that Bengt Orup worked at Johansfors from the 1950's but I haven't been able to ascertain when he stopped working for them.  Does anyone know or have any further information on his work so that I can attempt to put a rough date on it?  TIA

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Bengt Orup for Johansfors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 06:50:07 PM »
Hi Pip,
In Bill Geary's book: Scandinavian Glass, creative energies, it says that Bengt Orup worked for Johansfors from 1952-73.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »
Hi Pip,
In Bill Geary's book: Scandinavian Glass, creative energies, it says that Bengt Orup worked for Johansfors from 1952-73.

Hiya Della, that's great - thanks!  I haven't got Bill's book yet ... I'm waiting for my latest purchases to arrive (Smoke & Ice and Fire & Sea), Creative Energies will definitely be one of the next I buy.

Offline inca

• Members
  • Stockholm, Sweden
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
Hi,

I found this Swedish site about Bengt Orup.
http://www.bengtorup.se/glas/
Here it says that Orup was at Johansfors 1952-1962 and 1967-1973.
He was at Hyllinge glassworks 1963-1966.

Ingela

all texts and pictures © Ingela Nyrén

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 09:02:42 PM »
Thanks Ingela - it seems he had a little blip in the middle of his time at Johansfors.  Stylistically, I think the vase my husband bought is probably from the later period he was there i.e. 1967-73

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand