No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BIG pink 'frilly' cased glass vase  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
BIG pink 'frilly' cased glass vase
« on: April 20, 2007, 09:42:05 AM »
This is one I've had for so long I'd forgotten it.  I bought it on ebay when I first started collecting, and didn't read the description well enough.  I was expecting something quite small, about 5 or 6 inches, perhaps.  But no.  This one is B I G! :o  It stands over a foot high and is just under 8 inches across at the widest part of the frill! 

So it stand on the floor in the spare bedroom, under the cabinet  ::) 

But I wonder if anyone can tell me who made it, and when? ???

As you can see, it's apparently white glass which has been cased in the sort of pink I would expect to see in 1930's pressed glass!  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Big_pink_vase.jpg
And it seems to have a polished out pontil.   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Big_pink_vase_base.jpg

Any ideas?  ???

Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Re: BIG pink 'frilly' cased glass vase
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:28:57 PM »
Hi Leni! :)
I'm back from N.Z.....
The words "pink" & "frilly" caught my eye. I'm always up for something pink & frilly! ;D
What an intriguing vase. It's colour reminds me of Fenton's Rose Overlay of the 1940s-50s.
The shape & style are quite late Victorian, but the colour? The Victorian cased pink glass tends towards more vibrant shades of strawberry, candy & salmon pinks (very tasty, though not all at once!).
This is a very pale pink, & as you say, more of a 1930s colour.
It looks kind of French in terms of the elaborate mould shape. Or "Continental" at least?
There are Czech pieces from the 1918-1939 era in this exact cased colour, but the shapes are more simple.
The size of the vase also sets it apart.
B.T.W, I know what you mean about buying an item & it being far bigger than one realised. I won a basket last year on Ebay (1970s Murano repro of a Victorian caesd satin basket with applied cherries). It turned out to be enormous, by far the biggest glass basket I've ever seen! You could actually fit a load of shopping into it! :o ;D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand