No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard / Czech Outsourcing c.1970  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard / Czech Outsourcing c.1970
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »
Folk far more knowledgable than myself helping me research some of the Holmegaard site have told me that This Label was used on glass that was outsourced, generally to the Bohemian glassworks. It's fairly commonplace now, but back then it was something kept quiet - even the box that the labeled piece came in says that it was 'Made In Denmark'. *tut tut*

I know it's a stab in the dark, but would anyone have any clue as to which glasswork/s might have been responsible for the production?

Sklounion

Re: Holmegaard / Czech Outsourcing c.1970
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:45:05 AM »
Hi Nic,
What is the item?
Difficult to point to a particular candidate without that info.
If this happened, then the original order from Holmegaard, would have been dealt with by Glassexport/Skloexport and not directly by any factory.
I know of a number of non-typical Sklo Union items, produced for the Scandinavian market. What is interesting is that in nearly every case, the designer is unrecorded, whereas the designs from (and designers working for) Glassexport/Skloexport are documented.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:48:04 AM »
Hello Marcus.

Silly me, I forgot to include the actual piece I was talking about. It's actually a chunky bowl/candleholder that you recommended to me a while back - I've not actually got around to photographing it yet.

This is the auction I bought it from: HERE, but I'll update with a better photo later in the day (when I've woken up a bit!).

It would be interesting to see if any of those unattributed designs originated with Holmegaard from their stable of designers.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:01:22 AM »
Don't have the time to set up proper lighting, etc, right now... so these are the best of a bad lot of hasty snapshots:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 02:37:38 PM »
Nic, I don't think this will help with your query, but it's worth posting in case you've not found it. Fascinating - but all in Danish! Glashistorisk Museum

Edited to add: Ahhh you have found it, good... I've just seen your link in the other topic.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 02:56:42 PM »
The goodly glassies of Holbæk are in fact the folk who pointed out the nature of the label to me!  ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 03:00:37 PM »
Ahhhh I see, that explains things Nic. Seems I'm following you round in a circle!   ;D

BTW I just saw another of these here: http://www.outernational.info/m38.html with a different label... any help?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the link. :)

I'm guessing that although they fibbed on the box with mine when they said 'Made In Denmark' (maybe they meant the box was made in Denmark?  ;D), they couldn't go so far with a label that says 'By Royal Appointment.... Made In Denmark' - which is why any kind of royal association is absent from my one? Just speculation.

But I think these bowls were made for a fair few years, so production may have moved back to Denmark - or they got around fibbing on the label...?

I think most of Holmegaard's production is outsourced these days, hence their modern label not mentioning country of origin, or royal association.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand