No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small paperweights wanted...contacts?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Small paperweights wanted...contacts?
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
I need a number of small paperweights to be made to order...something similar to what John Gooderham makes.  Anybody got direct contact details to him or other people that do similar work?
All responses appreciated!
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
Re: Small paperweights wanted...contacts?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »
Peter McDougall makes button sized paperweights. They are millefiori and he does offer faceted versions. I've also seen one by John Deacons. He makes a variety of silhouette canes and he has recently been making rose and pansy canes. Those would be gorgeous in a button sized weight. 

The best place I know of to get something made to order is the Burkes' PaperweightsPlus. I just had a stunning one-off made to order to celebrate our 20th anniversary.

http://www.paperweightsplus.com/
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »
I agree!  We also had a 'special' made, via Paperweights Plus, by 'that' Scottish glassmaker and Willie Manson, at a very reasonable price!

And Peter McDougall's little weights are the best value for money anywhere, IMHO!  :D
Leni

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:06:25 PM »
Hi Karelm

Regret to inform you that John passed away on New Years day this year.

Your best bet maybe to contact Johns last protege Cheryl Maahs who lives in Sault Ste. Marie. Just do a google search

There are many glass workers in the States making buttons and they will if asked leave out the shank so creating a paperweight Sue Fox and Mary Gaumond are two that readily spring to mind .

In the UK Peter McDougalls son Alan was taught by John to make the mini weights but I dont know whether he is still doing them.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Derek  

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »
 :o For one awful moment I thought you meant John D had died!   However, I'm very sorry to hear of the demise of John Gooderham  :(

I belive Alan Mc Dougall is still making miniatures with his father.  They are shown on the Paperweights Plus website. 
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:09:34 PM »
John Deacons does you know. You might also get some interesting collaboration pieces with some of the others working with him now.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:27:52 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies..it gives me a lot to go on!
Intresting thing about Alan Mc Dougall making weights: I recently asked paperweights plus if it would be possible a closepack with all his canes as well as a signature cane and got a very negative reply.  I have looked for the mail but cannot find it but it basically boiled down to him making weights and not canes.  I understand that this is normal, for an apprentice to use somebody else's canes, but I thought he had moved on in his making.
Thanks once again for all the responses.
PS: I hesitate to mention this but the idea is that these weights will eventually be turned into knobs for kitchen cuboards.  I am currently doing research on what to use so as to be able to remove them from the mounting if needed (read, if we ever move they are not staying there and need to be returned to minature weights for display!)
PSS: SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) does not know about the removal part of the plan >:D ;D
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand