No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help with decorated vaseline marmalade - Stourbridge  (Read 1855 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Need help with decorated vaseline marmalade - Stourbridge
« on: April 22, 2007, 03:47:40 AM »
I just got this in the mail today.  I collect vaseline marmalade dishes, and also have a lot of file photos of other people's collections of vaseline marmalades.  I have never seen a marmalade before with original paint.
I know that this is Stourbridge region.  It is satin vaseline opalescent, polished pontil, typical size.  The amount of uranium is not overpowering.  The piece does glow, but not 'knock your socks off' kinda glow under UV.
Anyone know of any of the glass factories that might have had a decorating department?  Or, does anyone recognize the shape?  I have seen this shape before that was vaseline satin/opalescent, without the decorations, and my note on the photo says "possibly powell", but i don't know if I put that notation there, or if it was something that the seller noted in their description and I copied to the photo.
the two photos after the marmalade are close ups of a couple of the flowers.
http://www.vaselineglass.org/marmaladedecorated.jpg
http://www.vaselineglass.org/jamflower1.jpg
http://www.vaselineglass.org/jamflower2.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Need help with decorated vaseline marmalade - Stourbridge
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:50:16 AM »
Dribble, dribble. I was lusting after that one but I don't have any answers

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:55:38 AM »
lol I saw that too and saw Dave bidding on it, so I gave him clearance.   ;)  Dang, we're good to you Dave, eh?   :-*

I am not a man

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 12:56:46 PM »
I DO appreciate the pass you two gave me on this one!  The seller usually doesn't like to do paypal, but made an exception (i asked before bidding) and I told her I would pay all paypal fees.  The shipping cost was more than the end price on the auction!  There were no key words in her title and she had it listed under GLASS>OTHER.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:12:07 AM »
Hi Dave!  Can I ask how you 'know' this is Stourbridge?  Is there a design in a pattern book that it matches?  Or are you going by something else?  (Just wanting to learn! :D)

I've just got a copy of Gulliver's 'Victorian Decorative Glass' and I'm drooling my way through it, but this marmalade looks to me as if it might be a little bit later - perhaps Edwardian?  The style of the flower painting reminds me of the decoration on my Edwardian display cabinets. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/Edwardian_cabinet_painted_flowers_2.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/Edwardian_cabinet_painted_flowers_1.jpg

Unfortunately, Gulliver doesn't seem to be able to give many definite ID's, but we know Webb definitely had a decorating department of course, as lots of their Burmese ware was painted.  I don't know which others did, but I would guess others definitely would have done.  Anyone else have any ideas? 

Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »
Quote from: Leni
... Unfortunately, Gulliver doesn't seem to be able to give many definite ID's ...

Leni — Why "Unfortunately"?   Surely the great value of Gulliver lies in the author's courage to have kicked out all the heresy and hearsay that has so plagued collectible glass, and, like Hajdamach, reinforced "Don't know" as a legitimate attribution.

I have very few marginal notes so far (apart from cross-referencing photographs of the same item).   Those I have made have been based on evidence of at least the same standard as used by the author.

It's a brilliant book and an essential reference.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »
Quote from: Leni
... Unfortunately, Gulliver doesn't seem to be able to give many definite ID's ...

Leni — Why "Unfortunately"?   Surely the great value of Gulliver lies in the author's courage to have kicked out all the heresy and hearsay that has so plagued collectible glass, and, like Hajdamach, reinforced "Don't know" as a legitimate attribution.
Absolutely right, of course, Bernard!  I really meant that "unfortunately" in the sense that I wasn't able to use it to help Dave out with the ID of his marmalade.  Don't forget I'm still very much a beginner at this game.  I guess I haven't yet learned to 'let go' of my urge to try to identify specific Stourbridge glasshouses!  :-[  I'm learning though, thanks to books like Gulliver and Hajdamach, and of course to you!   :-*  ;D 

Gulliver certainly is a wonderful book! Thank you so much for telling me I needed it!  :D 
Leni

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »
The marmalade dish could have been made anywhere from 1880-1930.  All the signs point to one of the glass houses in the Stourbridge region.  It has a very whispy vaseline opalescent rim.  The frame fits beautifully and it happens to be a larger than usual base, so the frame has to be oversized, the polished pontil, the 'fee' and 'look' all point that way.  As far as the style of decoration, be it Victorian or Edwardian, both are still going to be England in that regard.  A glass friend of mine told me that the MOSS ROSE decor was done because Moss Roses are easier and quicker to paint, so I don't think that can really date it regarding time period, but ya just never know!  Looks like it will remain a mystery a while longer.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »
As far as the style of decoration, be it Victorian or Edwardian, both are still going to be England in that regard. 
Indeed!  But what I meant was, it wasn't going to be any good my searching in books on Victorian glass if it was later!

How do people tell if something is earlier rather than later, anyway?  Styles tend to carry over a little from one era to another, don't they?  But I just get a 'feeling' that this is later. I don't know why  ???  Anyone else got a view on it?       
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 08:39:30 AM »
Looks later to me to.....I think it's the slighter simpler, smoother shape. Still has Victorian style, but a later feel to it due to the less ornate & relatievly pared-back design (I realise it is still ornate as such, but nowhere near as o.t.t as the ultra ornate designs of the 1880s).
Looks early 1900s to me. No idea on a maker though!  ???
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand