No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Davidson Blue Pearline or Not ?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Davidson Blue Pearline or Not ?
« on: April 25, 2007, 07:42:40 PM »
I bought a pair of these yesterday they look very much like Davidson patten Rd 176566 but I am still not sure, they are unmarked weigh about 570 gms , height 5.25" diameter of bowl 6.52
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6658
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6659
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6660
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6661

Any thoughts please and if not Davidson who may have made them

thanks Roy

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Davidson Blue Pearline or Not ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »
Roy, I'm uncomfortable with this as part of the 1892 Suite (Davidson RD 176566) because of the spiralling double ribs - all the examples I've seen have a single thicker rib and the ribs themselves go straight from the centre to the rim, they don't spiral. Also, the daisy pattern doesn't look quite right for the 1892 suite either.  It's a lovely piece but I can't identify it other than saying I don't think it is Davidson 176566.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:15:51 AM »
Thanks Anne

I do tend to agree with you about the spiralling double ribs, the large daisy pattern although is the same , I have compared it with a very large  signed bowl and both have 16  segments, my other concern is the colour does not quite look right for Davidson, if its not Davidson then I would be interested to know who made this, I would then think more likely to be European or American than British

Roy

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 04:12:39 AM »
I don't think it is Davidson, but I KNOW it is not American! I had always thought that this was an unidentified BURTLES, TATE, & CO.  I have one in Primrose Pearline.  I am thinking Burtles, Tate made it to compete with Davidson during the time period that Davidson made RD 176566.  I have also seen one of these (in blue opalescent) that had a figural girl in spelter metal as a stand, and this was an umbrella/bumper shoot that upturned on her in the wind.  It made a cute piece.  It was being sold by a seller in England.  I have also seen several of these that came out of England in Primrose Pearline.  in OPALESCENT GLASS by Edwards/Carwile, 5TH EDITION, they gave it a name of DAISY SWIRL, and suspected it was Davidson, but did not know.  By process of elimination, Davidson's patterns are fairly well researched and it does not show up.  Sowerby made very very little primrose pearline (a two handled salt or small sugar with swirls comes to mind) and Greener's patterns are also pretty well known. My most educated guess is either Burtles or Greener.  When you sell it, you *could* use the name of DAISY SWIRL, unidentified British Blue pearline/opalescent.

Regards
Dave
mr. vaseline glass

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:17 AM »
Thanks Dave

I tend to agree with what you say, I do not think Davidson or Sowerby, I was not sure about USA but you rule that out too, I did wondoer about European but you say you have seen a few come out of the UK ,so it would seem more likely British, I do not think Greener so Burtles could well be a possibility, I am going to send a couple of pictures to 2 very Knowledgeable press glass collectors in the UK and ask if they have any opinions as to maker or even solid information and will leave message when I hear back from them

Thanks for the help regards roy 

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 04:11:35 AM »
Hi Dave

After speaking to Derek Glenn he also said supposed to be have been made by Burtles and Tate and he believed the pattern is known as "Pinwheel Swirl"

thanks agian for your help

Regards Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand