No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A New Size for the Catalogue?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
A New Size for the Catalogue?
« on: April 22, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
Frank.
I bought this yesterday at our local auction house and when I was checking the website for the shape code (it is an FA is it not?) noticed that the tallest mentioned is 11 inches. This example stands at 12 inches - measured twice for accuracy.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6602

At the same auction, in a general lot of glass there was what I believe to be a Monart basket (pink transparent with mica flakes) - shape MH - and obviously someone else thought the same because I wasn't successful with my bid (at nearly 7 times the estimate). I will send you a copy of the link to the catalogue (Lot 1286) but with the sale having completed it might not be around for long. I would welcome your opinion as to whether my hunch was right. The base of the basket was typical Monart with polished pontil and flat outer circle. I wonder if the auction house have a picture which could be used for the catalogue?

http://www.scotlands-treasures.co.uk/taylors-auctions/viewimages.php?minlot=922&maxlot=1750&sale=CurrentSale&page=36

Regards
Ronnie

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: A New Size for the Catalogue?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Hi Ronnie

It certainly looks like an MH and a particularly nice one. Pity you got outbid!

Thanks for the size, I have updated FA sizes now. A nice big lump  :)

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »
Thanks for response, Frank.
I am still inexperienced when it comes to Monart Glass, though "chuffed" that I spotted the MH. Was bailing out at £140 a sensible decision or what? I know that the value of a piece can be said to be really a measure of how much someone wants it but would that be about the normal range for these pieces?
Ronnie

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
I would probably have gone higher, 250 ish maybe another 30 to cover the additional bits that can be resold.

I think I have an MH in my embarrasingly large Ysart back-log. But I am slowly rebuilding the Ysart catalogues as part of Scotland's Glass as it give more flexibility, unlimited views per piece and faster maintenance. But it still remains a lot of work.

Offline saorsa

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:50:19 PM »
lol , i was at that sale as well , i came out at £120 when i saw Ian who is a real Monart Lover Come into the bidding , ( its better in his collection than  me just putting it through the trade ) and was the underbidder at £140 on that green FA You bought , i only eneded up with that large green and orange PA vase that has impact damage to the base . Its exciting seeing something quite unusual comming up for sale in a tray lot of items  and wondering if you are the only one to have spotted it  ... obviously not  this time lol

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:52:41 PM »
I wondered who was bidding for the baluster vase and was hoping they would stop, so thank you. I really wanted this one for my collection.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline saorsa

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 06:24:58 AM »
your welcome , i  will introduce myself at the next auction , you were in the second row with the light coloured jacket and walking stick??  i was at the very back of the hall ,  see you next  time  Greg

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
Yes - that's me! I won't be at the next auction (on holiday) but will be back in June so look forward to meeting you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand