No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Butterfly Candlestick Holders...Pink apricot - ID = Sowerby  (Read 2069 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Butterfly Candlestick Holders...Pink apricot - ID = Sowerby
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:00:52 AM »
These are my second query. ... Thought I recognised them when I bought them but I havent been able to find any reference since I got them.

My first thought was Walther but Ive searched high and low. They were sold to me as depression glass, so Im hoping that's correct.

Any ideas appreciated.

Trudy

Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
Re: Butterfly Candlestick Holders...Pink apricot depression
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
Ok, just after I posted a friend ID'd them as Sowerby from their  Butterfly dressing table set.

So thanks anyway :)
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:11:21 AM »
Hi Trudy
These where made by the UK firm of Soweby, it is a dressing table set, consisting of large tray, lidded pots and candle sticks like yours, if you search the board there is already a topic posted for this glass with more info. Not Depresssion, but made sometime in the 1930s.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »
Interesting page about the variations in this pattern here: http://www.sherriff-family.com/butterfly.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:22:08 AM »
Thanks Tony! You and I must have posted at the same time. Glad they arent modern as I was thinking once I got them home.

Wow Anne, I got stuck reading there but I dont think I'll attempt to find out which variation mine are :) Too much thinking on a Monday for me!! LOL Really interesting information though. Especially the part about the small bowl mold being broken.

Trudy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand