No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sherdley Jug (split from Pressed glass (mint) sauce boats)  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Re: Sherdley Jug (split from Pressed glass (mint) sauce boats)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
Hi Anne,
The chevron jug feels pretty good to me. 
Thick, heavy, and a well defined pattern of 4 panels of chevrons separated from one another by 4 vertical lines.
The base has a lined pattern in 4 quarters, giving the impression of a large X with chevrons filling in the gaps.
I just lined up the chevron jug against a good copy of a ripple, a nordic and a plain bamboo (I also have a bamboo of a far lesser quality - made elsewhere, maybe?), and the chevron jug loses nothing by the comparison.  I reckon it's a good match.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 02:38:53 PM »
Thanks Chris, that's useful to know.   

Meanwhile, are these the tumblers to match the jug or not?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120113297744

At first I thought they were the Sowerby drape art-deco jug pattern but having checked against a reference pic for that pattern they are clearly not.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 09:55:15 AM »
Hmmm, I thought I posted an answer here late last night.  Guess I was dreaming!

Yes, the tumblers look to be a match for the chevron jug.  They're also the same outline shape as the nordic pattern tumblers, which I remember drinking from as a kiddy.  That would appear to support their Sherdley origin.

I'm surprised how few of the Sherdley tumblers I see any at car boots or in charity shops.  I'd love to get my hands on a few of the nordics and bamboos.  Obviously they were used more than the jugs, bowls, sundae dishes etc and often got broken.  Although they're pretty robust, and I dare say they're still in use all over the country!

Does anyone know whether the older, chunky tumblers were sold in cardboard 4- or 6-packs or just loose as per the Woolworth photos?

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »
Interesting question about packaging...

There's a set of Nordic sundae dishes in Ravenhead packaging for sale on Canadian e-bay at the moment (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160098618655 - to the best of my recollection, I've never seen any Sherdley pressed glass with any form of packaging.

None of the Sherdley pressed glass adverts I've seen show or refer to packaging - unlike the screen-printed tumblers (introduced in 1958), where the packaging (also designed by AHW) is both pictured and highlighted as a sales point in the text.

The only pressed glass advert I've seen where prices are mentioned is the one for Bamboo tumblers in 1958 quoted above, where the fact that prices are quoted per tumbler suggests that they were being sold individually rather than in packs. Whereas adverts for screen-printed tumblers in the same year give prices per carry pack of six.

Heidi

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 11:24:20 PM »
Yes, the tumblers look to be a match for the chevron jug.  They're also the same outline shape as the nordic pattern tumblers, which I remember drinking from as a kiddy.  That would appear to support their Sherdley origin.

I'm surprised how few of the Sherdley tumblers I see any at car boots or in charity shops.  I'd love to get my hands on a few of the nordics and bamboos.  Obviously they were used more than the jugs, bowls, sundae dishes etc and often got broken.  Although they're pretty robust, and I dare say they're still in use all over the country!

Chris, I've not seen the Nordic tumbler yet so hadn't twigged the shape, but again, thanks for the confirmation. :)

Thinking about it, I hardly ever see Sherdley tumblers either. I have several Nordic pieces (jugs, bowls, sundaes, covered dishes) which tend to be reasonably common. Now I'll have to go looking for the tumblers to satisfy my curiosity!  ::) ;D

The only Sherdley tumbler I've seen (and bought) was one of the Twist pattern in blue, which is somewhere en route from me to Heidi via David. I was surprised how small that was!  :o

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 09:50:48 AM »
Well spotted, Heidi!  If Ravenhead, Made in England, they could theoretically have been manufactured at any time up till 2001 or so, no?  Interesting that the seller has 3 x 4 pieces for sale, presumably all packaged.

I remember that, back in the 60s, Woolworth used to sell all their glass and china as individual pieces, and I seem to recall reading that in the 50s Sherdley had some sort of exclusive deal with Woolies.  Sorry, I can't remember where I read it.

Anne, I seem to have the same type of Nordic items as you - sundaes, cream jug, large jug, large bowls and a circular butter/cheese dish with a extended flat rim - or is that what you mean by a covered dish?  I haven't seen a Nordic tumbler in over 30 years.  I would have thought they'd be fairly commonplace.  Hmmm...  Perhaps there were fewer pieces made in that design than I thought.  Know of any other pieces?  Whether in Nordic or any other Sherdley design?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 01:30:36 AM »
I have two different covered dishes, Chris. One has a larger rim than the other. I'll try and get them side by side for a pic later.  8)

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
Here's an ad that you may enjoy. 

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6779

Kindly sent to me (for sharing) by Paul Seaton who created the terrific Woolworths history web site at http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/

I have a 700Kb high res copy.  If anyone wants that, please just ask.

Anne, the tumbler at centre top is the same shape as the ones you pointed out on eBay.  The ad resolves a number of mysteries for me, and I now know that I have another 5 pieces of Sherdley in my stash (jug and fruit bowls).  We also now know where a lot of that pressed pinwheel stuff comes from!

The ad gives a good notion of the range of types of item produced by Sherdley.

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 01:46:44 PM »
Thanks for publishing this, Chris. I'm a big fan of the Woolworths Museum site and of Paul Seaton, who's a really nice man and a true enthusiast. If I remember rightly, this ad dates from spring 1940. I have a copy of one from the previous year, which shows many of the same items, as well as a few more utilitarian kitchen items.

I wondered whether the tumblers might have been a later addition to the Nordic range, which might account for their relative scarcity. But they're featured in an advert published in 1952 and again in 1956, so maybe it's just that they were more prone to breakage.
Heidi

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
A couple more answers from my rummagings through the Alexander Hardie Williamson holdings at Himley Hall.

The jug and tumblers in the advert David posted (http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2949) are called Classic. Designed by AHW and produced from 1946.

The Chevron jug and tumbler are also by Sherdley. Not clear whether AHW designed the jug, but he certainly designed the tumbler - see pic attached (courtesy of Broadfield House).
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand