No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New Acquisitions!  (Read 20937 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 05:14:40 PM »
well i was looking at the star shaped canes, if you look in the green ones there is a six pointed blue star in the center, with 5 outer stars i'm sure they are clichy, i've got no book's here to look at the moment,  me mother is reading then
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 10:11:05 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
I will raise one question - what's the height and diameter?

Thanks for your helpful comments Kevin.  The weight is quite small, maximum 2" diameter and with quite a low profile, only 1&1/4" high.  The base is concave and polished, and there is a small amount of wear on the base ring.

I am not sure if it has been re-polished at any time - if it has it was done very professionally, as it is impossible to detect by any distortions in the dome, and my first inclination would be to say not.  However, although the weight is small, the complex canes are quite large - certainly larger than any in my Clichy weight.  

But then the elements which make up the complex canes are incredibly tiny!  For example, in the very centre of the blue and white striped complex cane is a green six pointed star in white, surrounded by a tiny pink rose.  This is then encircled by three green and white concentric canes and three tiny white roses with pink centres :shock:      

I've searched every paperweight book I have, and every website I have bookmarked, and I've examined the weight with a magnifier until I'm going cross-eyed!   :shock:  :roll:

I can see why Ray says Clichy.  I still keep wondering myself, but there's something I just can't put my finger on :?  With everything I've looked at I see similarities, but then I see differences too  :x

At one point I started looking at the other French makers, but I'm fairly sure it's not Baccarat and I don't know the others that well - plus it doesn't match the size and profile as far as I can tell.  I just don't have enough experience at this!   :(

I still tend to think Bohemian.  

Kevin, can you put me out of my misery, or is there anybody else who wants to 'have a go' at this one?   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 10:18:34 AM »
Leni asked:
Kevin, can you put me out of my misery, ...

No, not yet. There are still some more things to consider.  But with the detailed thoughts so far, the clues are beginning to add up.

What we now need is for that camera to be found, Leni. And then we need good close-ups of the "rose" canes you have mentioned. They could be the biggest clue of all and are one of the most widely researched cane types in recent years.  :)

If you are unable to get detailed close-ups of the "rose" elements, you could email me the largest best quality photo you can get of each cane (or perhaps just the whole weight) and I will play around with enlargements.

Now, shall I make another comment? Yeah, ok ... from the photos of the top and profile views, I suspect the weight has been reground and perhaps quite a bit. The top view shows the design as off-centre, which may be just the way the photo was taken or it could have been a less than decent setting of the canes during the making. But the profile view does show an uneven dome shape with one side being lower than the other.
KevinH

Offline Leni

• Members
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 11:58:53 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
What we now need is for that camera to be found, Leni. And then we need good close-ups of the "rose" canes

:(  That could take time!  The conservatory is being erected tomorrow, the doors will be broken through to the house next week, and then there's decorating and carpet fitting to be arranged.   :roll:  I don't expect to be unpacking the boxes again much before mid-May!  :shock:

I guess I'll just have to make some time to get in the spare room and dig around in the boxes!  What an idiot I am!   :oops:  

Even then, I'm not sure the camera (or the operator  :oops:  :roll: ) can manage a good enough close-up!   The magnifier I have been using is a very good one and even with that the detail is tiny!   :shock:

Now, shall I make another comment? Yeah, ok ... from the photos of the top and profile views, I suspect the weight has been reground and perhaps quite a bit. The top view shows the design as off-centre, which may be just the way the photo was taken or it could have been a less than decent setting of the canes during the making. But the profile view does show an uneven dome shape with one side being lower than the other.

I think you may be right!  The design *is* off centre, and is tilted slightly.  And IMHO the canes do look just a little too big for the size of the weight  :?  

Also, the unevenness of the dome can actually be felt more easily than it is seen.  I held the weight with my eyes closed and turned it in my hand and I can in fact feel what you observed!  :shock:  :roll:

There is wear on the edge of the base ring, but examined closely I think it may be more on one side than the other, although the ring - which is 1&1/4" in diameter -  does look central.

I guess I'd better stop and start searching those boxes!   :roll:

Actually, I'm enjoying 'the thrill of the chase' in all this and I think I'm learning and 'honing' my powers of observation!  It's much better than just "Who made this?"  "So-and-so." "OK, thanks!"   :lol:

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

New Acquisitions!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 01:16:23 PM »
Not sure why but every time I look at it I keep thinking Chinese, particularly the lack of physical depth of the canes . Not modern.

Offline Leni

• Members
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 01:38:54 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
I'm not sure the camera (or the operator  :oops:  :roll: ) can manage a good enough close-up!  Leni

:D Woohoo!  Rang husband to ask if he had any idea which box I might have packed the camera battery charger away in, and he said "Don't worry, I'll get my big camera out this evening and take some good close-ups"   :D

Watch this space ......  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 02:35:37 PM »
Guest - The weight is definitely not Chinese.

Leni - Your comments about "honing powers of observation" is exactly what I was intending by suggesting this approach. And yes, examining weights by touch is by far the best way to check for "flea bites", "chips", some "bruises" and local flat spots from uneven regrinding / polishing. Well done so far!

I'm looking forward to the pics of cane detail. They may send us round in a few more circlles but it will all be good experience.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »
Although I don't collect paperweights as such (I have four that sort of came to me!), I have to say that I'm finding this thread very interesting, far more so than if Kev had just said "it's a blah make". It's developing into a very neat masterclass rather than just being given a result off pat, and I'm sure the lessons learned can be used with other types of glass collecting as well.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Leni

• Members
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 08:54:29 PM »
Right, I've got some pictures  :D   None of them enlarge terribly well though  :roll:  

We took the pics with the weight balanced in the neck of a small jam jar (I knew those jam jars would come in handy some time!  :lol: ) because I don't own a small enough stand, but my heart was in my mouth for fear of it slipping off, or husband knocking it against the rim and chipping it!   :shock:  

I apologise for the size of the images, but Kevin did same keep 'em big.  Bernard, don't even look!   :roll:   Sorry! :oops: http://tinypic.com/4ke44o    
http://tinypic.com/4ke1b5  
http://tinypic.com/4ke1c9  
http://tinypic.com/4ke1dc    
http://tinypic.com/4ke42d

You may notice there are a couple of little pieces of black in the base and also a tiny area of grey on the top which is not a 'flea bite' or bruise, but is actually under the surface in the glass.  It's really only visible at certain angles, but it shows up under magnification.  

I do wish the englargements showed the detail better - it is truly amazing!   :shock:  Still, we did the best we could in the circumstances.  So come on everyone - the thick plottens!   :lol:  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
New Acquisitions!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 09:56:27 PM »
Well, actually, I said "big and best" if emailing to me ...

... but I can handle them ok in here so it doesn't worry me.  :)

Interesting use of a jam jar.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand