No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Striped glass decanter  (Read 1191 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Striped glass decanter
« on: April 30, 2007, 04:52:09 PM »
I bought this lovely striped glass decanter recently, and wonder if anyone recognises anything about it?

The decanter itself is not very heavy, the stripes are hand painted to the outside.  The rim is silvered, and it has a painted number 16 to the centre of the ground and polished pontil that matches the number on the stopper. Stopper is HEAVY solid glass, silvered to the top, with a couple of smeary swirls of amber glass running through the solid round ball - doesn't look deliberate, there is no amber anywhere in the main part of the decanter. It stands about 9.5 ins 240 mm including the stopper.

I don't have a modern feel about this piece, the way the handle is applied seems rather Edwardian, even though the stripey pattern is rather 50s.

Does anyone have any ideas? 

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6762
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6761

Thanks!
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Striped glass decanter
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:42:21 PM »
No idea Lynne I'm afraid, but it looks like a marriage to me  :( 
A matching stopper should be hollow. Wish you find two matching items  :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:49:40 PM »
Hi Pamela,
I'm very doubtful this is a marriage, the silvering on the top of the stopper matches the silvering on the rim of the decanter, and the two are both identically numbered.  The number on the body is in one of the stripe colours, the number on the stopper in the silver. 

I can't think anyone would be bothered to go to the bother of numbering them both?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »
Very nice - I have a bit of a weakness for these enamelled carafes and cocktail shakers. My gut instinct says 50s - I think that's when most of this stuff was produced.
Heidi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand