No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone identify/value this piece pls?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Ross B

• Members
Can anyone identify/value this piece pls?
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:51:43 AM »
I have inherited a Murano ruby comport that I would like to know more about if possible.  I am not sure whether it is possible to upload photo images on this BB - could someone advise/instruct on this, please?  

If not, I could email the photos to anyone who may be able to help.

Cheers all.

Ross

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:07:10 AM »
Hi Ross,
Just look at the first "Sticky" topic on the main Glass board, it says "Posting Pictures."
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:11:57 PM »

Anonymous

comport pics
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 04:16:37 PM »
I can't work out how to get my username accepted, so am posting replies as "guest".  Anyway, the pics are now uploaded - one is of the comport, the other shows the only damage - a chip off one of the base supports.

If anyone could give me some idea of a valuation, would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:49:53 PM »
Ross you have to sign in before posting and sometimes you have to sign in twice. We have a problem with some people getting signed out that we have been unable to resolve thus far.

If when posting a message you have the option to enter a name, then you are not signed in.

Your sign in status is also shown near the top of the page below the word Board.

Offline Ross B

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 04:51:13 PM »
Thanks, Frank!  Had to sign in three times, but that did the trick.  

No replies so far.  Just wondering if I need to provide more information, such as diameters etc?

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi Ross,

Dimensions would help a bit, as the larger the piece generally the more valuable.  However, this piece is going to be difficult to value for a few reasons. First, it is of indeterminate maker and age.  This type of "traditional" Murano glass has been made since about the 1930s until today. Without knowing when it was made, it will be difficult to astertain true value, as the earlier the piece the more valuable.  Second, the sticker is a generic import sticker. Without knowing the maker it is very hard to fix a price.  Third, it appears to be damaged (one of the feet looks to have been broken off), which will greatly reduce its value.

That said, its value will probably be as a decorative rather than collectors item, and dependant on how much a particular client likes it.

Offline Ross B

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 02:06:22 AM »
Taken a bit of time to get back - apologies.  

OK, so the diameter of the top of the comport is around 17.5cm (6.8 inches), and of the base about 8.5cm (3.3 inches) from extremity to extremity.

The chip off the base support is the only flaw, and when standing on a shelf, say, if turned to the back, it can't be seen.  I appreciate that any damage like this detracts greatly from the value of the piece.  

Only other info I have is that it was made no later than the 50s, but could be earlier.  I don't know how I could substantiate this without expert confirmation, though.  (Maybe that's where you guys come in?).

Cheers

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 05:43:45 AM »
Unfortunately the tiniest chip takes quite a bit of value away from a piece. Fussy collectors wouldn't buy anything with the slightest amount of damage unless it was particularly rare. That said, not everyone is so fussy and there is a lower end market of less well heeled collectors who will buy damaged items, but it won't be for anything near undamaged value, often much less than half that value.

I just picked up a signed flygfors vase, my very first, for $AU20.00 on eBay (vendor had not seen the sig). Unfortunately it had been sold by someone who didn't know anything about glass, who posted it without bubble wrap, and it arrived chipped (I suspect before transit, because I can't find the chips), and is sick. So it's probably worth not quite $AU20.... Sob!

Offline Ross B

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 04:26:34 PM »
Sad Ebay tale, Cathy!  So, my comport is probably worth $10 or less, with a piece off one support like that.  Oh, well - nice decorative piece for someone who doesn't mind turning the damaged part to the back where it can't be seen.  

Cheers all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand