No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Glass Spiderweb celery vase  (Read 8640 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Chance Glass Spiderweb celery vase
« on: April 27, 2007, 09:32:02 PM »
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Chance Glass Spiderweb celery vase
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
Oh, I know someone who'll be demanding pictures.  ;D It's a Chance pickle jar  ;D Good find. Is it marked celery?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
Can't think who will be needing photos... but the 'Celery' marking, if it exists, should be acid-etched on the rim.

This is yet another derivative of the Celery Vase/Pickle Jar/Biscuit Barrel - basically the same glass, adapted to suit the purpose. I can confirm the metalware was made by E & J Leek Ltd, which operated from Birmingham, and being quite close to the Chance concern was an obvious choice.

Sadly, if there is a flaw in the metalware, then it is out of guarantee - it only lasted for five years! :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:41:33 PM »
Thank's, there's no 'celery' mark on the rim.  8)

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:58:14 PM »
More on Leek from nearly three years ago:

... examples of interesting lamps that today's electrician would find something of a challenge.

My own favourite is the Andromeda or Rocket lamp.   This was a 1950s or '60s novelty, made by (if I remember correctly) C J Leek (C & J Leek?), Alma Works, Alma Street, Aston, Birmingham, possibly in their "Celtic" range (it may have been sold as the Celtic lamp).   It was a chrome ball containing the bulb, on a chrome base with a little white plastic push on/off switch.   Into the top of the lamp fitted either the bayonet fitting version of the Bagley Andromeda figurine, or a stylised space rocket (glassworks not known) with a similar fitting.   Not an earth wire in sight!

There would have been little point in supplying lamps with an earth connection in pre-seventies Britain, as most homes were fitted with a 15 amp earthed socket for an electric fire on the skirting somewhere near the fireplace, and sometimes, but not always, one or two 5 amp two-pin sockets for lamps or radios elsewhere in the room.   In 1969 I recall a very cheap bedsit in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire where I powered a radio, record player and desk lamp from adaptors plugged in between the central ceiling light socket and the bulb, with the cables hanging down like festoons.   Also the 15 amp socket was on a coin-in-the-slot meter, whereas the lighting circuit was free - a not unimportant consideration for a penniless ex-student starting his first proper job.   I have happy memories of most of my past, but that short time in Mansfield was dreadful.   I was perpetually cold, damp, hungry and lonely.   I've never been back - I expect it is quite a pleasant place today.

Any further information on the Birmingham metalbashers would be welcomed.   I know I have the address right - it is unforgettable, but I am rather hazy about the rest. ...

David — thanks for the correct name for the company — I got it wrong above.

The rocket colours seem to match those of post-war Sowerby more closely more than any other British glass house, but it could have been by Bagley or Chance.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 11:40:29 AM »
For completeness, my two other favourite addresses:

• Garage — Buckingham Ford, Ford Street, Buckingham
  • Ladies' fashions — One Bird's Treat, 1 Bird Street, Lichfield

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 08:29:01 PM »
I bought this today.

It has red or pink bands but not frosted ones.

There's a faint gold gilt band above the red/pink bands.

The handle cube thing may not be original as it's not been put on straight. The cube is a piece of plastic with a fake rose inside it.

It's just over 2 and a half inches high without the lid and base. 4.75 inches diameter.

There are no marks on the metal. It appears to have more ribs than the sugar bowl or preserve pot.  :-\

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_49243_small.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_49246_small.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_49244_small.jpg

Have you seen one before?  ???

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 09:25:59 PM »
Nope that's another unusual one! But judging from the size and shape, it would appear to be a honeypot base which was normally supplied with the standard glass lid.

The red appears far deeper than the usual dusky pink, but are the bands like the Matthey Crinkles textured finish?

Where is this Spiderweb factory you keep visiting, TC? :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 11:45:13 PM »
Top secret location.

The bands aren't crinkley.  :o
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_49249.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture_49250.jpg

As you can see from the picture, there are two faint gold bands and not one (whoops).

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 07:26:59 AM »
That looks to me that it's been crudely handpainted onto a clear Spiderweb base (Chance always sprayed) and it's possible the enamel hasn't been fired, so might easily come off. I note the brushing has partially overlapped one of the bands.

Very strange, but I strongly suspect this was applied after being sold by Chance, and perhaps it was 'decorated' by the firm adding the metal fitments, or even by a householder. Can't answer about the gilt bands, as this required a special paint (I can't really make them out), but these were invariably hand applied at Chance.

The honeypot base (normally found with a lid) is one of the scarcer pieces, although not rare by any means.

Would like a hi-res. photo, if at all possible, Tony ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand