No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: local "99cents Only" weight finds (Pics gone / links broken)  (Read 15909 times)

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
local "99cents Only" weight finds
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 08:21:33 AM »
Oh Dear! what a great thread. I also agree if they are pretty why not.  I am learning a great deal as this is really an unexplored area for me. Over the years I have picked up quite a few weights and like most people have them stored in a small curio cabinet with no light. Now my mind is twirling on the possiblities of better display. Another project in the works. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 08:56:24 AM »
Quote from: "glasswizard"
Over the years I have picked up quite a few weights and like most people have them stored in a small curio cabinet with no light.

As an off-shoot of my glass collectiong, I have also started to 'collect'  :roll: cabinets to keep my glass in!  :lol:

I have quite a collection now of the little Edwardian inlaid and painted display cabinets.  It's quite hard to get hold of small ones, which fit in modern houses, as most of them are quite big.  

I keep most of my paperweights in with the rest of the glass and other 'eclectics'  :lol:  in these cabinets, (as in this pic) http://tinypic.com/4lm1w7

But what I am really looking for is one of those glass-topped-and-sides display tables which are made just for displaying such items!   :D   I have seen a couple around, but they tend to be quite expensive - even the 'repro's  :(  

If anyone sees one around going not-to-expensive  :wink:  :roll:  Please let me know!  

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 06:06:50 PM »
But what I am really looking for is one of those glass-topped-and-sides display tables

Wouldn't it be cool to have a glass topped coffee table with a shallow box type affair under the glass to display things.

I'm sure it must've been done before, but it'd be a great way to display similar size paperweights, all bunched up and pretty together en masse...mmm!
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 06:20:56 PM »
Glass top display coffee tables

You can find them in the Indonesian furniture stores in Amsterdam, cheap, cheerful and chunky. Should be similar dives in London

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 09:37:48 AM »
Well a glassed topped coffee table would be interesting, but it would have to be large to hold all mine. As you can see, my little cabinet is overflowing. http://tinypic.com/4qh103  so I guess I must do some thinking on this. Terry

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 09:41:02 AM »
Top shelf, inside the cabinet, fourth one in - yellow.  Where have I seen that one recently Terry?  Did you put it on the board for some reason?

Or have I seen it somewhere else...   :?  :?
I am not a man

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 10:01:52 AM »
Max you have a good eye. Yes I have put that on the board. Its one I recieved as a gift and really don't care for, but what are you going to do? I have photographed all my weights individually, but can't seem to find the time to lable the pics properly. As an offshoot of my other glass collecting, this branch has certainly grown and maybe its time I took it more seriously. Terry

Offline jemimamoon

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 04:02:20 PM »
I found a GREAT shelf at IKEA .  You can actually see my glass now.  Expedite is the name of the shelving unit.  Comes in two different sizes and three different colors.  lets the light through and shape definition.  I have posted this photo before regarding my yellow finials.   So my two cents.  Cheers

Jemimamoon

http://www.yourimagehost.com/is.php?i=38753&img=livingroom.JPG

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 04:25:03 PM »
Quote from: "jemimamoon"
I have posted this photo before regarding my yellow finials.  

In her book 'Paperweights', Sibylle Jargstorf shows many examples of pointy things, very like your 'finials' in shape, and says they were made in pairs as mantlepiece ornaments.  

I think this solves the problem of what your 'finials' are, and you can stop looking for great big jars to fit them into  :lol:

You shelving does indeed make a lovely display, but for my collection I think I need something enclosed, if my glass is to be safe from cats & grandchildren!   :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 05:48:04 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
...if my glass is to be safe from cats & grandchildren!

Glass behind glass is a travesty in my humble opinion but you do have a real problem to address. An alternative may be to take some broken glass and create no-go areas in the approaches to the unbroken glass.

Why do I get the feeling we are at the start of silly season :wink:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand