No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: local "99cents Only" weight finds (Pics gone / links broken)  (Read 15907 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
local "99cents Only" weight finds
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2005, 06:43:19 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Why do I get the feeling we are at the start of silly season :wink:

START!!!!!  :shock:   :lol:  :roll:

If I remember correctly I joined this board in about September or October last year, and I haven't yet observed anything 'seasonal' about the sillyness!   :P  :lol:

Leni  :wink:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 09:49:56 PM »
As you can see, my little cabinet is overflowing. http://tinypic.com/4qh103 so I guess I must do some thinking on this

Third shelf down Terry, the biiiig turquoise and then the yellow weight...they're super!  I do like biiiig things - I mean if you're going to have something, might as well make an impact with it, right?  

Can't help but think Terry's weights would look nice in my 'soon to be bought, hopefully' Indonesian display table...   If I ever find one!
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
Can't help but think Terry's weights would look nice in my 'soon to be bought, hopefully' Indonesian display table...   If I ever find one!

I don't know about Indonesian, but I've decided to invest in one of these:  http://www.elisabethdrake.co.uk/   :D

I've been waiting for an antique version to come up on ebay, but I they aren't that frequent and I've missed a couple, so I thought, hey, let's go for a reasonable repro!  :roll:

Terry's weights do indeed look fantastic!   :shock:  I *love* the swirly pink one on the second shelf!  :D  There I go - pink again!  :roll:  :lol:

Leni
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 08:50:40 AM »
:? Do different people's computers respond differently to the same images from tinypic?
I ask because I find Terry's picture so pixylated and grainy that although I can see a colourful mass of lumps of glass, I cannot make anything out in any recognisable detail! It's most frustrating! There is an odd shaped something in blue and yellow on the top that I'd love to see!
 :D Cheers, Sue
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 08:59:10 AM »
Quote from: "chopin-liszt"
:? Do different people's computers respond differently to the same images from tinypic?

Obviously they do!  :shock:

I can see Terry's pics clearly, and the enlargement is even more magnificent!   :D  What browser do you open pictures in, Sue?  Could it be worth trying a different one to see if that helps?   :?

Any expert here able to offer advice - is it something to do with settings?  I'm no good when it comes to settings!  :oops:  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 09:58:40 AM »
To Max, Leni, and Sue, thanks for the interest you have shown, I will take each weight you mentioned and try to descibe each one. The first will be the yellow one, yes a good sized weight. http://tinypic.com/4qrara  This is made by Gentile Glass Star City West Virginia. This is impressed in the bottom of the weight but couldn't get a picture of the mark and its even hard to see. Another interesting thing about this weight is that it sweats. I remember we had a thread on sweating glass which explained why it does that. Well this is the first one, but work beckons and I will get to the other ones later in the day. Oh and Sue, the blue and yellow blob on top is a frog, I think you will love it. Terry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 04:54:26 PM »
Enlargements :?:  What enlargements  :?:   :?:   :?:
Thanks, Leni, I didn't know the pictures could be enlarged, I thought they just all came out little.  :oops: I've investigated :idea:  and played a bit with those funny bits that come up on the picture when you leave the mouse on it for long enough, and sure enough, I can get them bigger :!:  :!:  :!: .  8)
I keep telling everybody I have technophobia, but nobody seems to believe me!  :oops:  :oops:
Now I can't find the thread with my pictures of the bonbon dish to see how they came out!

Terry, I've seen it big now  :D and it looks wonderful. You're right, I LOVE the frog - do you know who made it?
Cheers, Sue.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 05:27:45 PM »
Terry wrote: I remember we had a thread on sweating glass which explained why it does that.

Hmm...that sounded interesting, so I 'searched' for all permutations of the word 'sweat', and got nothing!  :?

Is there a technical term I could search under?    :?
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2005, 07:35:09 PM »
Thanks Frank for finding the link.
Moving on we come to Leni's pink swirl http://tinypic.com/4qrasp this is made by Prestige Glass and that is a molded mark on the bottom along with the date of 1986. Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand