No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: William Hutton silver & cut glass decanter - style?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
William Hutton silver & cut glass decanter - style?
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:08:45 AM »
I', having a hard time describing the style of this decanter.  The silver fittings are by William Hutton & Sons, Birmingham 1912-13.  I don't know who made the glass (tho I'd love to hear your thoughts).  This is too early for Art Deco.  Any ideas on how to describe the style?  Thanks for looking.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6723

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: William Hutton silver & cut glass decanter - style?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
Hi, the period is George V, and i dont think it is too early for Art Deco, visit www.vam.ac.uk/nal  this is the the site for the Victoria and Albert museum National Art Library.
William Hutton and son's were based in Shefield and would have sent thier silver to Birmingham to be assayed, sorry cant say who made the decanter, but i think it's lovely :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Re: William Hutton silver & cut glass decanter - style?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 12:25:38 PM »
Great link , Sue.  Here in the USA, we tend to be brow-beaten if we refer to something produced before the Paris Exihibition as Art Deco.  It makes perfect sense that the style was being developed before that, at least in Europe.  We also tend to lump everything after Victoria as Edwardian :-[.  Thanks again.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand