No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lovely Chinese Pink Water lilly  (Read 2139 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Lovely Chinese Pink Water lilly
« on: May 03, 2007, 12:11:07 PM »
I wanted confirmation that this is the same one as on pg 66 in Letts guide, I am quite sure it is, but for some reason the pic wont load!!! >:( >:(
Anycase if somebody has one could they please check if any one of the leafs has this type of mark on it:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6795

It looks like it has been added to the bottom as a seperate piece as none of the mark shows through on the top part.
Thanks and kind regards,
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
Re: Lovely Chinese Pink Water lilly
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »
Sorry,
I made an "IDtenT" fault in the post above, here is the picture of the weight :
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6797
kind regards
Karel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »
Haven't got the Letts Guide, Karel, but I've got plenty of the weights!  ;D 

Yes, it's Chinese.  I happen to think they're rather good at this sort of weight.  I like the ones with little frogs or fish in, too.  I particularly like the central canes which make the 'stamen' of the flower in your weight. 

Here's a couple of mine.  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/White_lily_flower_with_yellow_stamens.jpg
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10048/Chinese_waterlily_with_fish.jpg

I don't have any of those marks under the leaf though.  I do have some with white flecks in the base.  Do you think yours could just be accidental, or do you think it's a deliberate attempt to add a 'signature' of some sort?
Leni

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:15:50 PM »
I particularly like the central canes which make the 'stamen' of the flower in your weight.

The stamen on yours looks like some kind of millefiori which is nice; mine is a solid white centre cane with 2 rows of tiny (much less than 1mm) "sticks" around it.  Anybody, myself included, that would talk about "chinese junk" should have a look at these weights and think again!!

or do you think it's a deliberate attempt to add a 'signature' of some sort?
A loong story, but I cannot believe that so many weights come out of China and nothing is signed/marked.  There was a thread regarding the "rose cane" and the "dove cane", not too long ago, in that I had to walk away as the evidence was against me....but there is still hope for some kind of chinese signature cane to be identified and then atributed!! The identification of a possible mark is easy, but tracking it back to a factory is very, almost impossibly, difficult and as you know that is the only way to prove it is a mark! 
And, yes, the way the marks on mine are applied to the leaf; it is either a patch or a mark I believe so it is 50/50.  Hope springs eternal ;D
Kind regards,
PS: The cats are lovely!
Karel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:25:18 PM »
This is my water lily  With froglet... 8)

My central cane is a white and green simple millefiori type cane, set in a pale yellow cup with white stripes that look like stamens.  I think it is beautiful, and worthy of being given greater appreciation.  I think some Chinese ARE rather simple, but then so are some (insert nationality of choice).  Also some Chinese are beautifully designed and well made, as are some (insert nationality of choice).

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand