Author Topic: Any information on this iridescent (?) glass bell shaped paperweight  (Read 621 times)

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
Hi all,

I got this in a mixed lot with some 'good' pieces at auction, and would like to know more about it if possible.

It's solid glass and is about 9.5cm tall by 6cm base diameter. The glass appears to be almost clear with a slight greeny tinge to it but, as you move it, all sorts of greens, blues and purples appear ~ it's magic!!! Has a polished base with a slight indentation.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6736 (weight)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6735 (base)

Many thanks, John.

Offline PaperweightArts

• Members
Re: Any information on this iridescent (?) glass bell shaped paperweight
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
I love the irredescence of it.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Stirrup cup version of a penny lick ??? Except that might be a little contradictory. How heavy is it?
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Sue C

• Members
I loved Christmas in Germany, and when i lived in Detmold, i seem to remember items like this on the christmas trees, bells and icicles.
Is this what it could be?

Offline johnfandmaryp

• Members
I like that idea Frank!  ;D Wouldn't hold very much though as, apart from the very shallow indentation on the base which looks like (is?) a polished pontil mark, it's solid.

It weighs just under 14oz (390g), so it's a bit heavy to hang on the Christmas tree, Sue! I remember glass icicles on the tree from when I was younger.

Cheers, John.

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand