No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Brockwitz figure or a copy?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Is this a Brockwitz figure or a copy?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 02:46:53 AM »
Hi Pamela and Decolucretia,
If you look at Deco's picture here, http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6785
and compare with the ebay pic http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110120876169
left side, 3rd from top.

Compare the detail of the hair. The eBay version has an almost flat hairstyle. Also, detail seems to be missing from the neck and (her) left arm.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »
May I ask if it's known who was the original sculptor of this lovely lady? 

I love the languid stretch of the arms, and the twist of the hips and bend of the right knee as the model takes her weight on the left leg.  I wonder who the model was?  I've stood in that pose (in the days when I was a life model) and I know how hard it is to hold for any length of time (which is probably why my arthritis is as bad as it is now!  ::))  yet the sculptor has really caught the pose as if it was at the moment of stretching!   
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »
Leni, that's cute xxx from here!
sad is I do not know the sculptor, but Brockwitz :o)) as maker
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »
Thank you Cathy, this is what I meant with
'mind her coiffure'  :P ;D :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Decolucretia

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 01:51:25 AM »
Pamela, I agree that the arm and eye level appear different.  (Thank you for offering to send the catalogue - I'll send an email today with my details - much appreciated  ;D).

When I looked carefully over mine again I found slight differences - not sure if they are relevant but the hand behind the head is finished differently - the white one has straight fingers and the pink one has curved fingers.  There is also a slight difference in the detail of the drapery at the back.  As discussed above, the white one also has less detail in the hair and face.  But......the 'quality' of the glass appears higher in the white one than the pink one???  ???

Leni - I had a good giggle at your entry - she is beautiful isn't she. :)

Offline Decolucretia

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 02:05:33 AM »
And this is the reason that you and I find all these beauties in the British, Australian market again today! I am happy with that - and long time ago I have abstained from believing that these findings are pre-WWII - ALL of THESE are made in German Democratic Republic by VEB (Volkseigener Betrieb)! Well, the moulds are pre-war at least and I love that glass  :P

After that, we are going to investigate your white one... your pink one indeed looks genuine!
Sorry, meant to ask in last post - do you think that the pink one (and your amber one) are pre WWII or post WWII?  I think it might be ok to guess the white one was made post WWII.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand