No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice health warning  (Read 2793 times)

Sklounion

Skrdlovice health warning
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:31:16 AM »
It appears that not all Skrdlovice is what it appears.
Twice in the last week, I have come across items which seem to be signed reproductions of items designed by Frantisek Vizner.
These are being issued in editions of 500.
One at least appears to be a re-make of Skrdlovice pattern 6831, with plastic labels, and Vizner's signature, from a company called "Alkimie Praha" with "Hand-made in the Czech Republic" tag, which dates production to post-1992, and the "Velvet Divorce".
At least one of these items was described as museum quality (read BNWT). imho, it hardly qualifies as such, if a late reproduction.
In defence of the sellers, neither made an assertion that these were Skrdlovice, but neither did they make it clear that these are reproductions.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice health warning
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:53:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Marcus.
I did see one of those you mention and was a little wary. I shall be interested to find out who this "Alcimie" is.
Pete
Pete

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:14:32 AM »
Thanks for the warning Marcus - any chance of a listing number, link or photo of the vases in question?

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:47:09 AM »
Hi,
Compare the item shown here:220107588372 with exhibit 311, Ricke et al "Czech Glass: Design in the Age of Adversity" 2005 Arnoldsche, page 342.
I will comment no further at the moment as this is a live listing, but will come back to this later.
Regards,
Marcus

PS: http://titan.iwu.edu:82/iwunews/magazine/pastissues/Winter_2003/glass.shtml

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:49:24 AM »
Sorry, I cannot reach the mentioned page.

Good message for Skrdlovice collectors is that I have Skrdlovice pattern books from 1960 - 1981 (only year 1987 I am missing but I am working hard to get it). Now I am trying to associate to each item from Skrdlovice books the real photography of piece.

I will gladly help you with attribution of your "possible Skrdlovice" piece for your photography (ies) of the piece and permission to use it  an publish it in my database. Without help of glass collectors community I cannot reach the research target - complete Skrdlovice patterns database.

Jindrich

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »
Thank you very much Janice for the running ling.

No panic please.

Three vases at picture above had been really made by Skrdlovice by Vlastimil Beranek (grandson of Emanuel Beranek - founder of Skrdlovice glasswork who had got the factory back in restitution in 1992). Pieces had been designed by Frantisek Vizner in 1974 - green and blue one (fabricated also in topas colour) - are pattern 7412 and the cylindrical piece is 7411. Designs has been modified a bit in late 90's also by Frantisek Vizner. These vases had been a part of larger collection ordered by to me not known client from U.S.A., and according to wish of an Amercian client personaly signed by Frantisek Vizner.

So vases are not fakes but re-make of older designs by original producer and mostly original staff of glassmakers under the control of Frantisek Vizner. Let me know if you want know more, I will contact Vlastimil Beranek or somebody from his staff to get more details. From Frantisek Vizner I know firmly, that it is his signature made by himself.

Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand