No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian glass density values (Midlands makers)  (Read 1447 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Victorian glass density values (Midlands makers)
« on: May 05, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »
I am trying to find out more about the density (or specific gravity SG) of the glass used by various manufacturers in the Midlands area in the 1840 - 1900 period.  My reason is to try and track down the probable makers of a couple of designs of paperweight.

I have measured the SG of over 150 Old English paperweights in the last couple of years, and know the typical ranges of SG for paperweights believed to be made by Richardson, Arculus / Walsh Walsh (1900 onwards), Bacchus, Islington (and also 1950-1970 Whitefriars).  I have measured a couple of Richardson family bequest items in Broadfield House, and these are consistent in value with their paperweights.

I have seen some SG figures for uranium glass published by Barrie Skelcher in 1998, but those are the only public domain measurements I have managed to track down.

Does anyone know of published SG measurements for Midlands manufacturers pieces made 1840-1900, particularly from the following:

George Bacchus & Sons
Webb & Sons
Joseph Webb
Osler
Chance
Stevens & Williams
John Walsh Walsh
Davis, Greathead & Green
Thomas Hawkes
Hodgetts, Richardson
Rice Harris / Islington
Boulton & Mills

Any help gladly received!

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Victorian glass density values (Midlands makers)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »
Try the Society of Glass Technology.

But it is unwise to assume the same formulations were used for all types of glassware produced, or throughout such a long period.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
Hi Frank

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was not intending to imply that there was a single glass mix in any particular factory (what is probably most relevant to my research is clear lead crystal glass); or that it remained constant throughout the period I have defined (I think there was a tendency in some firms to reduce the amount of lead as financial pressure increased); - or indeed that the batch was the same day to day(as a shovel full too many or too few of some ingredient went into the batch by mistake)!

But any information would be helpful - the measurements I have made to date do show that useful information can sometimes be obtained from measuring the SG.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:36:43 AM »
Googling gave one surprising result:

Glass - broken or cullet1290-1940 kg per cubic metre
Glass, window2579 kg per cubic metre
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm

and

Glass min. 2.4
Glass max.2.8
Glass crystal min.2.9
Glass crystal max. 3
Glass plate min. 2.45
Glass plate max. 2.72
http://www.postdiluvian.org/~mason/materials/specific-gravity.html

Then

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0885-2731(194901%2F02)39%3A5%3C684%3ATVWRTT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-%23

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand