No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unknown weight can anyone help ?  (Read 4510 times)

Offline saorsa

• Members
unknown weight can anyone help ?
« on: May 05, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »
 weight i picked up today ,  can be described as a " floating pale green and aventurine slab" , age worn base that thas an indented pontil and fire polished base

Mod: Photo's uploaded to GlassGallery  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6828
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6829
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-6827

thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline GlassARetorti

• Members
Re: unknown weight can anyone help ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »
Alas, not really. Sometimes identification stays a mystery.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 05:42:54 PM »
That base is not fire polished. It is very finely ground. It's a combination of hollow ground and flat ground. I have an old Parabelle with a base like that.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 09:18:34 PM »
i'd say made in Italy
cheers Ray

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 09:51:33 PM »
i'd say made in Italy
Can you tell us why you'd say that, Ray? 
Leni

Offline GlassARetorti

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 02:10:46 AM »
This is not a Murano paperweight; or even an Italian paperweight (as glass is made elsewhere in Italy, not just on Murano).

It fits none of the accepted principles of Murano work, not even something contemporary and abstract.

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:11:24 AM »
Looking at it more, I think it looks like someone's experimental weight where they were learning finishing techniques.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline saorsa

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
Thanks for everyones help so far , it is very much appreciated .

i was kind of hoping it was possibly scottish , it certainly is an aged weight , bought at  a bootsale in Perth Scotland , i have a number of pieces of Monart and the green shade matches perfectly some of the older pieces i  have ,that coupled with the black and aventurine got me quite excited lol . it does have a minor imperfection on the outer which although is not a crack it can be described as a bruise that is only visable under certain angles .

Greg

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 09:56:29 AM »
Sometimes paperweights like this are just one off studio weights using colour that has been left on the marver, from another project. Rather like "end of day" but not necessarily made at the end of the day. Studio glassmakers have to be resourceful and try not to throw anything away. Although I doubt this originated from my studio, it could quite easily have done so.

I can imagine a scenario where I would have been making a series of work, perhaps landscapes, using similar colours. There might be some time between pieces for an assistant to make a paperweight with the excess colour. You can see from the cloudiness below the colour that the glass has been marvered on a less than clean marver. However, the quality of the finishing suggests that it came from a reasonably sized studio or factory, because they had a flat- bed and a lathe and someone experienced in cold work. The punty has been ground out with a carborundum or possibly sandstone wheel, and this requires a degree of skill not always found in smaller studios.

These are some of the tell-tale indicators, but they won't explain where it came from.

While I have always endeavoured to ensure that every piece that leaves my studion is signed, many makers do not sign every piece.
There are lots of reasons for this. In the case of a paperweight like this, it's a bit like home made jam. If you made some jam and give it to the local jumble sale, you never used to label it with a complete provenance and history (although probably nowadays the HSE insist you do!) You just write "strawberry" on it to distinguish it from "raspberry".

While I understand that later on, people are confused as to who the maker is, I do think it is important to keep things in perspective. There are good reasons for signing, but there can be reasons against.

I have had a number of excellent students on my half day courses, who have produced work of this quality, and for obvious reasons, always ensure that they are signed with the student's name!

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
Thank you for posting that, Adam.  It was just what I was thinking! 

And I do have some pieces of your work which are not signed, because you considered them to be less than prefect, whereas I consider them to be quite delightful!  :D  So I think we need to be aware that sometimes an artist may not sign a piece, simply because they do not consider it a good enough example of their work for them to 'own' it, while a collector may find it a perfectly acceptable piece of art glass (or glass art!  ::))  You artists can be such perfectionists!  :-*  ;)
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand