No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed weight identification help please  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Signed weight identification help please
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
Thanks for that, Allan. Good to see you dropping in! :) 

I am guessing from what Allan says that this is one of the later Fleur weights, probably a second, having no etching but an unpolished base, and that someone added the 'sig' later.  (Karel, CIIG is what it looks like CG for Caithness Glass and  II for a second quality weight.)

Now what puzzles me, as it so often does, is just why is this weight a second?  ??? In what way does it fall below the standards set by Caithness?  I ask because MY weight, which I pictured in my previous reply, is NOT a second!  Even though it has a slight slipping of something in the centre of the flower, which one might think would cause it to be rejected, it is fully etched on the base with Caithness Scotland, its name, and an inscribed number.  Yet Karel's apparent 'second' appears perfect to me!  There's obviously something which didn't come out as the Caithness designers intended it to, but goodness knows what, is all I can say!  ::)

Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 02:22:19 PM »
Hi Leni,
Although it doesnt show well on the picture the base is in fact polished, loads of scratches but I can see clear through the signature to the bottom of the flower!
If this was a second the only reason I can see is, if you look at the picture of the weight, at the 4 o'clock position on the rim of the flower and between the leaves at the 8 o'clock position you can see right through, there is no base material.  But somehow that doesnt figure if one compares that the the slipping of the cane in yours ???
I'll contact the seller and find out if he knows where the weight came from.
Kind regards,
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ALLAN

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
Leni,I don't know why your weight is a first to be honest, because normally a defect like the cracked flower would usually make it a second.I can only assume that it slipped through the quality control net.I would also assume like you that there is no defect on Karelm's weight which suggests it was a first quality before the signature mystery occurred :).It is highly unlikely that it was a member of staff that signed the weight as most of them were quite used to the diamond engraving pens we use.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 03:08:41 PM »
So it is not a second, and as it hasnt got a code on the base its not a first......must be the artist proof then ;D ;D ;D
Off to list it on ebay befor you contradict me>:D >:D
Karel

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
I've used a Dremel to engrave metal and done some fairly intricate work. It's not easy but it is doable. I've never tried to engrave glass with it.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »
When was Caithness fleur made? I ask, because my fast pass at the signature was that it was a very medical 1988! :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »
1987 until unknown date.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 09:33:27 AM »
"snip"We relaunched a small amount of Fleur weights a few years back "snip"
Is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300108164580
the relaunch or is from the original batch, anybody know?  I ask because both Leni's and mine (and the one below) has a mottled background in two colours.  This one has murrini spread all over the place with only the central flower looking the same.
I also got a pic of this one's base:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170109808526 and it confirms that the CIIG was sandblasted on and not engraved so my theory of a bad engraving is definately bang!
Kind regards,
Karel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »
No, the original is Fleur Style 1. The eBay auction is Fleur Style 2 and was an exclusive of the Royal Mint in 2001 with 1970 issued.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 04:48:32 PM »
Hi,
An email today confirms what has been established:

"This piece was designed by Colin Terris - unfortunately our records do not tell us who made each individual weight but it is likely that Allan Scott would have made the lampwork flower.
The fact that your weight does not have any base markings is a bit of an enigma!  I would be interested to hear if the seller gets back to you with more information.  I have asked people who were here in 1987 if they recognise the signature but no-one does.
I am very sorry that we do not have much information on this piece but it does appear to be a real mystery!
Kind regards,
Rhona Burns
Brand Manager
Caithness Glass"
The previous owner has still not responde and I sent a reminder today. ;D
I think somebody nicked it and signed/marked it and gave it to his/her love/mom/dad/etc
Kind regards
Karel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand