No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turquoise Geode Bowl  (Read 1864 times)

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
Turquoise Geode Bowl
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:39:44 PM »
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone could help me with this one:

Base

I'm not even sure if it is Murano, it's been suggested to me that it may be Scandi.
The base and top rim are polished.

As ever, many thanks for any help.

robbo
robbo

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Turquoise Geode Bowl
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:54:28 PM »
Could be LSA International, in which case it's highly likely to be Polish. Their stuff is nice quality

Offline maryanntique

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 05:40:24 PM »
Hi this could aslo be scandanavian glass, orrefors, flygsfors and kosta all had geode lines.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »
No sommerso halo Rob?  If not, then I'm inclined to agree with Christine about LSA.  Only a semi-educated guess though.  ;) :)

I am not a man

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:56:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments  ;D
Being a Murano novice I've always found the term 'Sommerso' a difficult one too  :-X. I'd always thought of it as being kind of several layers of colour as opposed to just two (thinking here of those square sectioned Murano vases where the layers of colour are obviously visible).

Back to the bowl, there looks more than two layers. It's difficult to judge because of the way the colours reflect inside the glass. There is definitely a thin layer of turquoise on the inside, surrounded by a thicker pale yellow / straw colour. There is definitely straw on the outside and
I think another layer of turquoise somewhere inbetween  ??? I think it does have a 'halo' - whether it's brighter than my own is for others to judge!  ;D

I know LSA has commissioned stuff in this turquoise colour. I bought a friend a couple of LSA kidney shaped dishes a couple of years ago for a present in this turquoise, just plain cased. I've seen examples of the bowl posted by Christine (I think this is in the other Sommerso thread now, created as I type) but this bowl doesn't show that obvious cased colour.

robbo

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:14:10 AM »
Beranek has a similar-shaped piece listed under ashtray in their product catalogue, but the colour shown is more blue I think. May be worth checking out though, just in case. :) http://www.beranekglass.com/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 06:29:50 AM »
Thanks for the link Anne. This one looks uncased from the side, but isn't solid turquoise. The straw colour is visible from the top. I'll try and take some better photos later.

robbo
robbo

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 08:23:17 AM »
Here are some more photos:

Side view, showing profile.
Another top view, showing the straw coloured layer.

robbo
robbo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand