No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blak Glass Creamer Pitcher  (Read 2385 times)

Offline oaktree-collectibles

• Members
Blak Glass Creamer Pitcher
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:31:37 PM »
I recently purchased a lot of glass from a Glasgow Scotland seller.  In the lot is a small black pressed glass cream pitcher.  There are no marks but  I would like to know the maker and possible age of the piece.  Also, is this black amethyst glass? Thanks

Photo Links

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/oak-tree/May08/BlackCreamerTop.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/oak-tree/May08/BlackCreamer.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Blak Glass Creamer Pitcher
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
Definitely black amethyst glass; I have a couple of these jugs and the matching cauldron style sugar bowl. If held to a strong light source in a darkened room you can see the purple glow. I can't add anything as regards age or maker. In style they look late Victorian, c1870s-80s but I suspect they may be much later. The moulding is quite poor on my examples with prominent fins along the mould seams.

Interestingly the cauldron style bowl is also known in cloud glass, seen here on Chris & Val Stewart's excellent site (at the bottom of the page):  http://cloudglass.com/other.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:51:07 PM »
Thanks so much for the info.  Hopefully we can find the makers!

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 06:52:22 AM »
There does seem to be a lot of these cream jugs and tripod caulrons about, mostly in black / amethyst , there are a few found in purple  slag glass, even less in cloud glass and a few which are also marked with a thistle trade mark, as far as I know the maker is still unknown, although the thistle mark may suggest a Scottish glass maker

Regards Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 06:09:04 PM »
Any thoughts as to who the Scottish glass maker could have been?  I would imagine this is probably 1930s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand