No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Henry Greener Cake Plate, Help Please  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ForeverOld

• Members
Henry Greener Cake Plate, Help Please
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »

Hello,

I have recently aquired a cake plate that is by Henry Greener, it has the demi lion with the star.

My question is where do I find a fair market value on a piece like this?
I purchased it to sell in my store but have no idea what to price it at. I can not price it by any formula based on my purchase price, because I got such a deal. As far as I can tell there has not been a cake plate by Greener ever sold on ebay or any place for that matter that I can find.  :-\

Anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks, Bobbie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Henry Greener Cake Plate, Help Please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »
Leave to market forces, as long as it is properly described and illustrated it will attract the collectors and if as rare as you think it will reach a fair market price.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
I agree with Frank - of course the other alternatives are to hunt through printed matter (books, auction catalogues, online sites) for guide prices or take it somewhere to have it professionally appraised for a fee.

Offline ForeverOld

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for the tips Frank and Pip,

Unfortunately I can't let the market dictate a price by auction. It will be placed in a fixed price store instead. So I guess the research or appraisal is my only options.

Thank so much for all your help.  :)

Bobbie

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 09:07:47 AM »
Hi Bobbie, you can certainly search the auction sites even if you choose not to sell there in order to get a good feeling of the actual market price at the moment. Books and other printed research material will only give a historical (and often unrealistically inflated) view of the suggested value.  Value is, after all, highly subjective.

You also may need to take into account the speed with which you wish to sell the item.  If you want a fast sale, you will need to price accordingly.  If you price at the top of the published prices, you may have to decide that you are happy to hold the item for some considerable time until a collector comes along who needs your piece and has been looking for ages and is happy to pay your price.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »
The value of course depends on what sort of cake plate it is – its interest factor. Pearline in any colour, but especially primrose, or uranium glass will attract more interest. Greener was a prolific producer – over 600 different domestic items in the late 1800s – and will have produced at least one cake plate design if not more, everyone else was

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand