No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jewish Suncatchers / Pendants - Holmegaard?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Jewish Suncatchers / Pendants - Holmegaard?
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »
These two little pieces (they're about 1.5" in diameter) were bought from a charity shop associated with a synagogue in Copenhagen.

My best guess is they're a local commission from Holmegaard by a synagogue or group, c.1969 - Michael Bang was doing some near-identical small pressed work in this very seedy glass in similar colours around this time. And I have a few other localised bits and pieces definitely by the factory - such as a glass medal for a Badminton tournament - so such commissions aren't unknown.

But before I make my mind up, I thought I'd throw it into a public forum. Any other suggestions?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Jewish Suncatchers / Pendants - Holmegaard?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 07:03:39 PM »
Hej Nic, I'm almost certain that these are "hinkesten", used for playing hopscotch in Denmark.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 07:24:59 PM »
Hello Aine.

They have holes for hanging, though. Would hinkesten have those?

But thanks for clearing up exactly what a hinkesten is! I'd spotted one or two in some Danish literature, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were - I was actually going to ask you when I had chance. ;D

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 05:25:36 AM »
Sorry,hadn't seen the holes in them. No, hinkesten don't have holes  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 06:55:18 AM »
No problem - an easy mistake. And it cleared up another question I had in my mind.

It was, coincidentally, a hinkeston I spotted online that made me nearly certain that my two pieces are Holmegaard:

HERE

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:06:35 AM »
I know the website, I think it is very good. In fact, when I saw yoursuncatchers/ pendants, I went straight to this site  ;D
By the way, check out the section called objects.. there are some there, by Michael Bang in 1970, Holmegaard.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »
I've spotted the Michael Bang suncatchers - I've got a fair few of my own from that series.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
No problem - an easy mistake. And it cleared up another question I had in my mind.

It was, coincidentally, a hinkeston I spotted online that made me nearly certain that my two pieces are Holmegaard:

HERE

These are delightful!  How big are they normally?

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 01:36:46 PM »
Seems that between 6-7cm is the general size, judging from the selection on the site.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 01:42:54 PM »
Oh, just pottering through the 1970 catalogue for Holmegaard, and there is a page of hinkeston - but the English translation for them within the catalogue is 'letter-weight'. I assume this is a marketing thing, though, as there is - I'm guessing - no history of glass hop-scotch markers in the English-speaking world? And the Danish for paperweight is 'Brevpressere'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand