No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WARNING: FAKE WHITEFRIARS  (Read 6653 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: WARNING: FAKE WHITEFRIARS
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:01 PM »
I had a long chat with Jon Andersson, whom I've known for years, this morning, about all sorts of things, including this thread.  :) He has no idea where these vases are coming from, but he does think that there was probably more than one bricklayer mould. Eddie King also thinks there were two. Jon remains fascinated by the technical aspects of the vase and says that they are surprisingly difficult to blow. The few that he has made are all signed clearly, as Max stated. I mentioned to him that with some of the Whitefriars Day pieces, I signed on the piece itself rather than on the base, in a position where it would not be easy to remove the signature. He thought this was a good idea and was very receptive to the idea of signing his bricklayers on the underside of the overhang of the brick and may well do this in future, since he wishes to avoid the possibility of someone grinding out his signature. As he points out, an experienced collector should be able to see where a piece has been "doctored" but a novice could be misled. He also had some comments on the inaccuracy of screen colours with poor quality images on ebay!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 12:40:31 PM »
Somebody with original should get hold of some of the fakes and do a crease by creas analysis, there are bound to be a lot of pointers if done in a new mould. If the original moulds were made from the same master they would be virtually identical.

Never got an answer to my earlier question: When did the name change from 1967 advertised "Three Cubes"?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »
Perhaps one of the buyers is already the owner of an original? I haven't read this thread thoroughly so this might have already been answered elsewhere, but I assume moulds could be made easily from an original bricklayer vase? I assume this is what you are referring to Frank?

I read somewhere that 'Drunken Bricklayer' was a name adopted by workers and it stuck. Wasn't this also the case with other WF glassware?
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 02:17:35 PM »
Moulds from a vase would be less defined, not sharper as mentioned above.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »
but he does think that there was probably more than one bricklayer mould. Eddie King also thinks there were two.

Just heard from Eddie, who checked with his brother John who is certain that in fact there was only one mould.This would be the one that belongs to Jon Andersson.

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Sklounion

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 09:44:26 PM »
Query on this.
Patrick Hogan is normally very aware of production levels.
So, how many DBs supposedly passed through this mould, in how many colours, and over what period of time?
This is a technically difficult mould? Y/N?
The answers to those questions may reveal whether moulds were replaced, etc, whether it is possible even knackered moulds continued to be used during  any transitional period (ie breaking in a new mould), and if there were more than one used at a particular moment.
Just an observation....
Regards,
Marcus

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 09:59:13 PM »
Some very pertinent points, Marcus. However, it doesn't explain the sudden inrush of these vases in non-production colours.

Unless someone had a secret stash that they are flogging off ;D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand