Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Palm trees and vase - Stourbridge?

(1/2) > >>

Max:
Here are two photographs taken at Gaydon.  The quality isn't brilliant as they're photographs of photographs unfortunately.  These are from a nice chap without internet connection, so he will be informed of any progress via telephone or snail-mail - I wonder if anyone can shed any light on these items?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7027  Thanks to Angela for the photo  :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7052

Leni:
The palm trees look very similar to a design registered by John Walsh Walsh (RD100004) on May 12th 1888 according to Gulliver.  However, something very similar was produced by Boulton & Mills around the same time.  Anyway I'd say definitely Stourbridge, c1890 :D 

I'd say the white vase with turquoise edged rim was a similar age, and also possibly Stourbridge, but could be any maker. 

HTH  ;)

josordoni:
Someone is happily reading her Gulliver.... 8) ;D

Leni:

--- Quote from: josordoni on May 16, 2007, 09:03:38 AM ---Someone is happily reading her Gulliver.... 8) ;D

--- End quote ---
Sure am! ;D  And on looking again, I think I'd come down in favour of the Walsh Walsh version. 

Bernard C:
Max — Your three palm trees, the two in the pictures, and the one on the GMB stand at Gayton, are nothing like the five shown in Gulliver and the single late ashtray example shown in Notley/Miller's.

My conclusions are that many glassworks, probably including central European glass houses, made palm trees for sale in the British and British Empire marketplace, and that your three styles are unlikely to be by Walsh or Boulton & Mills.

... and would some kind soul explain the essential characteristic or characteristics of Victorian and Edwardian fancy glass that makes it so immediately identifiable as a product of the Stourbridge group of glassworks.   I am sure that Mervyn Gulliver, Charles Hajdamach, and many others, including myself, would find this skill most useful.

Bernard C.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version