No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sulphides - baccarat d'albert etc  (Read 1256 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Sulphides - baccarat d'albert etc
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:39:54 PM »
Great value for money for any prospective collector - not sure why these pieces aren't more highly prized. I suppose flooding the US market with 1000's a year during the 1970's didn't help but still a very productive area for collecting and still reasonable as very unfashionable!!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Sulphides - baccarat d'albert etc
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:06:33 PM »
Paradoxically those weights that formed the flood will provide the widely available base for making them an interesting area of collecting in the future as they return to fashion - so excellent investment material though, over ten years perhaps.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
The workmanship is superb - try buying any modern baccarat glass for £25 or so!!

Faceting is great, star cut bases too, very high quality sulphides and great colours for bases. If you're lucky you can pick up flash overlays and double overlays for very reasonable prices. When then are displayed appropriately they look great...

Sounds like a sales blurb (note to self, buy some sulphides!!!)

Noticed on the French website of ebay that they issued collection 6 in 1970 so production must go back to mid 1960's and lots of material to go at! Certainly the Pope John XXIII dates from 1963 (I think?)

The best sellers tend to be iconic figures like Churchill JFK and Napolean (war!), give me Rousseau anyday....

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Just this last year I built a really nice collection of sulphides because they we so affordable. I got some for as little as 10 dollars. I got D'Albret's flash overlay Columbus weight for 30. I paid 65 a piece for Baccarat double and flash overlays.

I remember the days when I used to just look and wish.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
$10 - at current exchange rates thats £5 or E7,00 - incredible.....

The shipping would be twice the cost!!! But still uber reasonable....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand