No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Generous donation to Perth Museum  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Generous donation to Perth Museum
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »
Earlier this year we had a discussion regarding a paperweight auction on eBay, the auction was withdrawn and we have helped Yvonne finding a good home for her weight.

Yvonne Moretti daughter of Maestro Alessandro Moretti wrote to me...
I have given this matter much thought.  I believe this paperweight to be a rarity and in no means should only one person possess it.  I believe the world should possess its history.  Therefore, in commemoration of three great artists, Colin Terris, Jack Allan and in remembrance of my father, Alessandro Moretti, and out of respect to Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips, I would like to donate this paperweight to the Perth Museum.

Regards... Yvonne Moretti

Kevin Holt made the following observations:

The Anne & Mark commemorative weight was the first of its type by Caithness Glass. It was also one of the first to have a maker's initial cane (there were already items with a PH cane for Peter Holmes). To have Yvonne's weight, complete with box and certificate, in the Perth museum would certainly complement the JA ones they already have ... a Perthshire Paperweights "Witches Ball" with JA cane and a Caithness Glass "Flower In The Rain" (version with red flower in green ground).

In the case of JA weights, I think we must sadly accept that the Charlton guide value, as at 2004, of £1,000 for the A&M weight is perhaps the main indication of the importance to collectors of Jack Allan's ability as a paperweight maker.

Other relevant discussion: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7228

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: Generous donation to Perth Museum
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:23:31 PM »
Excellent news. Museums don't just accept all donations nowadays - they are very selective, for reasons of space, so behind the scenes there must have been considerable effort and correspondence. Is this a GMB first?
Congratulations, Frank and Kevin, on a successful introduction, and thanks to Yvonne for her very generous donation, which will enable many collectors to have an opportunity to  view such a rare paperweight.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:40:06 PM »
Maybe a first paperweight, but many members have been donating Czech pieces to Marcus (LeCasson) for his research and those are all ending up in a museum.

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »
That's nice. Which museum do the Czech pieces end up in?
 (from Angela - not Adam D)

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 10:01:24 PM »
Hi,
rather a rarity for me to respond on this board.
Which museum do the Czech pieces end up in?
 (from Angela - not Adam D)
I am very happy that those donations of glass will be going to the Regionalni Muzeum, Teplice, where my friend, Eva Pankova, wife of Pavel Panek, is the curator. The donations, along with the items I have bought, will be a thank you for all the assistance I have received with the Sklo Union research.
Like-wise, with the next project, the glass I currently have, and other pieces, will be donated to museums in Prague, Novy Bor and Liberec.

Regards,

Marcus.

"I came into this world naked, I would like to leave it, in the same way".

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:11:07 PM »
The rare weight donated by Yvonne Moretti to the Perth Museum is now showing on Scotland's Glass. LINK

I think I have more Jack Allan work in the pipe-line, I will sort them out soon.

The Oban glassworks is featured on page 7 of Reflections 1 magazine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand